We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanoi Homevisit report

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
131 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Hanoi Homevisit report

Tonight we enjoyed the experience of going to a middle class Vietnamese family home and enjoying their hospitality for dinner and conversations about our respective cultures and thoughts and beliefs,

I found the Hanoihomevisit link on the hanoikids website and booked a few weeks before coming to Hanoi. It sounded like an admirable project and a good idea. We were picked up by 2 student guides, 1 who created the program, 4th Year Business student Wee (forgive my spelling), along with 1st Year finance student Ha.

It was quite a drive in the evening traffic and the home was up an alley/lane off a narrow street near a canal.

The home and family were thoroughly modern and delightful. It was a privilege to be welcomed to their home. The mother, appeared to have no english, father was at his weekly table-tennis, but the 2x children there for pre dinner & dinner who were uni students spoke english well and were keen to practice. Mother participated actively using family and guides to translate.They were also very keen to convey their sincere family values and spiritual beliefs.

We were taken on a tour of the 4 story home and then dined with the family and guides for a slap-up dinner of all the family specialities, which were truly delicious and mostly never heard of by us as regional to the family roots.

After dinner we moved to the living area for coffee and more lively conversation. Other family members returned home from their work and sport and we had many happy snaps before the arranged taxi to take us and our guides back to our hotel.

It was a window into the family life of a upwardly mobile, loving and friendly family. Highly recommended if you wish for another view of Vietnam not readily available to an average tourist. The guides were also lovely as well and our conversations during the taxi rides were really interesting.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,088 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanoi Homevisit report

Fantastic!

thank you, Havaholiday

Australia
Level Contributor
384 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanoi Homevisit report

What a wonderful priviledge, to be invited to share a meal in a private home. I read about the home visits but at that time, it was only at a set time, eg last w/end of the month and we couldn't travel at that time. Will definitely plan this for our next trip.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanoi Homevisit report

Great report on this rare home visit.

Thank for sharing this wonderful visit.

Cheers

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanoi Homevisit report

What a great experience, I had no idea you could book this on the Hanoi Kids website so thanks for the info.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanoi Homevisit report

Brilliant idea, thanks for sharing...would never have found out about this otherwise.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanoi Homevisit report

Sounds great and thanks for the report, but I must be blind lol. I don't see a link to it from their website or listed on their website?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,088 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanoi Homevisit report

Here you go - http://hanoihomevisit.wordpress.com/

8. Re: Hanoi Homevisit report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 15:40