We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR.....and Loved It !!!!

Tipperary, Ireland
Level Contributor
129 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
JBR.....and Loved It !!!!

We have just returned from Vietnam (4 weeks there) and we loved it, we honestly havnt a bad thing to say about it. We flew into Hanoi, visited Sapa and Halong Bay. Took the night train to Hue, took a car over the Hai Van pass to Hoi An, flew to HCMC and visited the Cu Chi tunnels and the Mekong Delta.

I decide to write this as some of the things I read on here really helped me (I was careful about Taxis and didnt get scammed etc) but some of the things nearly put me off going (Im very glad they didnt)

Yes its hot and humid, but we didnt have any problem with that (coming from a cold country we could very well have had a problem)

Yes it have plenty of street sellers/sellers on the beach, but a quick No and shake of the head was all that you needed to make them leave.

We were never troubled by insects Mozzies in any location.

We had no problem crossing the street (we loved it in fact).

We ate street food and loved it, we didnt get a minutes sickness while in Vietnam.

Travel is slow, but its a great way to see the country as you look out the window of the bus/train so I didnt mind that.

The people in the North are just as lovely and friendly as those in the south (those in the south show it easier by smiling or waving is the only difference we noticed).

Hoi An is very touristy and more expensive than the other places we visited (still cheap but definately more expensive than other places) but we loved it.

Cua Dai beach is amazing, the water warm and calm (in july anyway), the loungers very cheap and the sellers go away when you say no.

We were no scammed in any location (or if we were it was by such a small amount that we didnt notice.

I have picked these points as these were the things that almost put me off going. Would we go back.....YES,. We loved it !!!!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR.....and Loved It !!!!

Thanks for your report and am glad you enjoyed vietnam.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR.....and Loved It !!!!

Also you did your research before you left so knew all about the various scams which does help to avoid them. Forewarned is Forearmed.

Hull, UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR.....and Loved It !!!!

Thanks for the report. Just what I wanted rt read !!Looking forward to February

leicester
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR.....and Loved It !!!!

It sounds as though you knew what to look out for before you went so most likely were one step ahead. Glad to hear a positive trip report but be careful....it may become an OCD before you know it! HeHe

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
708 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR.....and Loved It !!!!

Thanks for the JBR, not enough of them here.

Just over a month togo forour trip, can't wait.

Tipperary, Ireland
Level Contributor
129 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR.....and Loved It !!!!

So true, forwarned is forearmed....this site really helps in warning you what to look out for but I just wanted to say that once you are aware of these minor things then you can go and relax and enjoy Vietnam....OCD is quite possible, its a great country with great people and I will be telling all my friends that they should go !!!

7. Re: JBR.....and Loved It !!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 20:16