We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Payment for visa - are there 2 lines at airport ( $ & dong)

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pretoria
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Payment for visa - are there 2 lines at airport ( $ & dong)

Hi all

My friend mentioned that is better to enter Vietnam with Dong since there is 2 visa lines for the various currencies. If this is the case I would make an effort to obtain dong before entering.

Someone else mentioned it's the same line.

What is true?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,763 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Payment for visa - are there 2 lines at airport ( $ & dong)

you're kidding right?

who cares how many lines there are -

Edited: 06 October 2012, 08:48
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,247 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Payment for visa - are there 2 lines at airport ( $ & dong)

One line........................

Pretoria
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Payment for visa - are there 2 lines at airport ( $ & dong)

She mentioned 2 lines and according to her the Dong line is much shorter considering all visitors have $.

But from the above feedback it seems there's only 1 line for payment

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Payment for visa - are there 2 lines at airport ( $ & dong)

I'm sure its in the FAQ - VOA on the right.

Have you read it?

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Payment for visa - are there 2 lines at airport ( $ & dong)

At Noi Bai there is only one counter for making the payment and picking up your visa, and only one person working at it.

There could be as many as four higgledy piggledy queues, but which one you're in and what type of currency you have for payment won't make a scrap of difference as each applicant is processed in the order in which the immigration officer receives the passports from his colleague.

The only way you can processed more quickly than others on your plane is to get to the VOA office before them.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,763 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Payment for visa - are there 2 lines at airport ( $ & dong)

somehow the rest of my post was deleted...what should have followe

......- it makes no difference, - they have their very own system and way of processing the VOA no matter how many lines

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Payment for visa - are there 2 lines at airport ( $ & dong)

There is a optional VIP service (10 dollars) that many mistake as corruption that might be the source of the 2 line rumor. No Dong needed as almost any money is accepted.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Payment for visa - are there 2 lines at airport ( $ & dong)

"VIP service ... that might be the source of the 2 line rumor."

Nope Owee, not at Noi Bai. If the pile of passports amounts to more than the number of people waiting to get their VOAs (and that happens only rarely at Noi Bai, but when it does it's clearly visible), then it's because a tour group is involved and the tour leader accompanying them from their home country has sprinted to the VOA office with all their passports in hand. I've run that race a couple of times and lost because the tour leader was so much younger and more athletic than I am. Even then, the wait was so short that I was at the carousel before my luggage arrived.

And again, there is no such thing as two queues/lines at the final VOA counter at Noi Bai - all that counts is when is your name is read out by the immigration official.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,658 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Payment for visa - are there 2 lines at airport ( $ & dong)

^always have first seat on flights to Saigon so I am usually first at the counter. However this go around I am trying VIP just to see what it is like compared to just normal. The agent says they will get you through passport control quicker which is usually where the wait is rather than the VOA line.

Tipperary, Ireland
Level Contributor
126 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Payment for visa - are there 2 lines at airport ( $ & dong)

there was only one line to the booth when I entered Vietnam through Hanoi and there were about 6 people working behind the counter (2pm in the afternoon) so the wait wasnt very long !!