We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it safe ?

mumbai
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
is it safe ?

we r 2 single girls travelling in nov is it realy safe ? plz advice

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it safe ?

nov. very dangerous

Aug much safer

Feb safer still

3 girl safer than 2

12 girls safest of all

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
83 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it safe ?

Yes, Vietnam is safe.

Bag and jewellery snatching have been reported in many place, especially in HCMC but violent crimes are rare.Just be aware of popular scams ( search TA) and use your common sense.

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it safe ?

Hello and welcome,

To me, with normal travel precautions, you will have absolutely no worries. By all means, schedule your trip, and visit this fascinating city and land.

The Vietnamese people will simply amaze you with their friendliness, and their hospitality.

I have been into Hanoi now twice, and have had absolutely no concerns. Granted, I am an older male, but I don't think that really matters. Being young and female will not create more worries.

You will need to be somewhat aware of your surroundings, and keep a close eye on your handbag, wallet, camera, etc.-- as pickpockets are about and will look for tourists to take advantage of.

The ONLY trouble I had with this was at Hoan Kiem Lake, and had my backpack opened twice by someone following me. That problems was solved by a small clip that then held the zippers shut.

My hotel also suggested wearing my backpack on my front side, but the clip idea worked better.

Scam wise you will also need to be somewhat aware, as I was approached at least half a dozen times by people from 'The Red Cross', who had a nice brochure printed up, and looked for a donation from me.

Young people will constantly approach you in the tourist spots looking to practice their English, and once you find out they really ARE young students, by all means please spend some time with them.

You will find them eager and pleasant and wonderfully good natured, and you will be glad for the time spent with them.

Have a good trip, and by all means go !

Steve in the USA

Seoul, South Korea
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is it safe ?

Few years ago, I travelled with my sister for 2 weeks. I think If you go around in daytime, it's safe. Even my bag was stolen when I took a night bus, I decided to go Vietnam again and travelled with my mother last year. We were satisfied with the travel.

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it safe ?

To dacaro -- our Aussie poster #1--

Could you please provide some further information about why November would be 'very dangerous' ?

'Dangerous in what way exactly ?

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on this as I found Hanoi exactly the opposite when I was there.

Thanks for your reply dacaro!

Have a good day all.

Steve in the USA

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,730 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is it safe ?

The most dangerous part are it's roads. The people are awesome and welcoming.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
378 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is it safe ?

Vietnam is a amazing place, especially hoi an people are so happy and loving

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is it safe ?

In tourist areas, be back at your hotel at 10 pm or take a taxi home and you will be fine. the biggest issue in Vietnam are petty thefts from people who do not use common sense. Vietnam is one of the safest countries in the world to visit.

Owee

www.owee58.com

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is it safe ?

"To dacaro -- our Aussie poster #1--

Could you please provide some further information about why November would be 'very dangerous' ?"

I was taking the pi$$ Steve, as if any month is more dangerous than any other (-;

Like you and others, I have found Vietnam to be the best and safest of Asian destinations thus far.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is it safe ?

I agree with daawgon, the people are so warm and friendly but the roads are just sooooo busy !, good luck with your trip, you will love the place and the people so much, we did and we are going over again in April. Enjoy.