We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December/January travel to North/South Vietnam - suggestions

Brisbane
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
December/January travel to North/South Vietnam - suggestions

Hi, I am planning my 2013/2014 Christmas break holiday in Vietnam and would like to see the cities and sights but also spend a bit of time at the beach. I know at this time of year it is quite cold in the north but is it hot enough for beach weather in the south at that time of year? Does anyone have a suggested itinerary?

Beechworth...
Level Contributor
310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December/January travel to North/South Vietnam - suggestions

Leisy,

It would help if you indicated something about your interests and how much time you have available. There are quite a few suggested itineraries in TA that might be of assistance - just you use the search function.

And yes, given time of the year, you might like to think about Phu Quoc island in the very south as your beach time. Maybe schedule it at the end of your travels and then leave VN through HCMC.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December/January travel to North/South Vietnam - suggestions

We are a family of 4 (2 adults 2 teenagers) just returned from Vietnam first 2 weeks of jan 2013.

We travelled with Vietvision who could not be faulted.

they were friendly and very helpful.

all hotels modern spotless and cheap.

We never had a bad meal and did 2 homestays.

Saigon is ok to swim at this time but up north it was cold Parka scarf beanie etc. Hoi an quite cool as well

and out on Halong bay freezing at night out on deck.

My kids went kayaking but not swimming.

Lots of People were going to Phu Quoc island

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: December/January travel to North/South Vietnam - suggestions

Hi,

The South will be warm & sunny. There are some good beaches in Mui Ne & Phu Quoc. Nha Trang will be in rainy season. Hanoi, Sapa, Halong may be chilly; Hue & Hoi An is cool. Suggested for you: Ho Chi Minh City - Mekong Delta - Phu Quoc - Hoi An - Hanoi. Halong may be added when you are in Hanoi & it is not freezing at that time . Hanoi & Halong may still have some sunny days in December.

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Khanh Hoa Province, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Brisbane
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: December/January travel to North/South Vietnam - suggestions

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.. I am planning to depart on 26/27th December 2013 and return 8/9th January 2014.

It is just my partner and i travelling and we are both very active and want to spend the first half to 3/4 sight seeing and adventure activities like walks, visiting museums and attractions and the last part doing relaxing at the beach. Hope this helps with your reply :-)

Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: December/January travel to North/South Vietnam - suggestions

My husband and I travelled from the 27th Dec - 13th Jan

Our itinerary was as follows:

2 nights Hanoi (temp was lovely 25C)

1 night Halong Bay (was freezing pack your scarf and gloves around 7C but the wind was icy)

2 nights Hanoi (we really could have spent 1 more night here, didn't realise tourist attractions were closed on a Friday and Monday, and we had already booked Halong bay for the weekend!)

----flight to DaNang them decided to do the scenic train to Hue (it was overcast and misty, missed the whole view)

2 nights in Hue (weather was nice) we visited the forbidden city, so pretty.

----private transfer to Hoi An

5 nights Hoi An (3 days of fabulous weather, 2 days of rain, but such a lovely place) Here we spend so much time taking photos, and relaxing.

-----flight to HCMC

3 nights HCMC so HOT!! Went to the Military museum, walked past the Reunification palace, spent a day at the Cu Chi tunnels (which I really enjoyed)

1 night Mekong Delta private tour (highly recommended! Such an adventure!)

1 night HCMC to relax before we went home

Honestly, we were pretty much flat out in the time we had. (Minus the bumming around in Hoi An)

We made sure our hotels were right in the centre of the "action" in all cities we stopped in, because we hate taking taxis, and much prefer to walk everywhere.

Hope this helps :)

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Perth Western...
Level Contributor
45 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: December/January travel to North/South Vietnam - suggestions

HI Leisy

We are looking at travelling the same time as you next year - where did you end up going for the beach part of your holiday and was it warm enough for you to swim?

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: December/January travel to North/South Vietnam - suggestions

My husband and I had 3 weeks in Vietnam this December. We spent 6 nights in Hanoi and then stayed south as we knew the weather might be wet and cooler in the north and frankly we get enough of that at home all year round. We loved the heat of HCMC and had a week of laziness on Phu Quoc Island which was what we needed after the hectic traffic of the 2cities. Totally recommend PQ if you want to chill in the sun.

8. Re: December/January travel to North/South Vietnam - suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 December 2013, 10:05
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: December/January travel to North/South Vietnam - suggestions

Hi,

You have 12 days for Hanoi and Hochiminh city.

Should have 6 days in Hanoi and the rest in Hochiminh City.

Detail like this :

Day 1 : Arrival Hanoi relax and visit Hanoi

Day 2,3 : Halong Bay 2 days

Day 4 , 5 : Sapa 3 nights 2 days.

Day 6 : Visit hanoi and departure to Hochiminh city

Day 7 : Free time inHochiminh city

Day 8 : Visit Hochiminh city and Cu chi Tunnel for 1 day

day 9,10 : Visit Mekong river , home stay 2 days

Day 11, 12 : Free time , shopping, joy cooking class in Hochiminh city. Departure

Hope this will hepl you. Enjoy your trip

HCMC
Level Contributor
35 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: December/January travel to North/South Vietnam - suggestions

In my opinion, the weather in Vietnam is quite comfortable at the time you come, so don't worry so much. Hanoi is so cold, but it is hotter than the Western countries during the winter, so just enjoy, you can serch some historical places through TripAdvisor. I recommend you to visit HCMC. About the tour, you can choose a travel service, but I suggest using free tour because you have just two people.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g293925-d…

Follow the above link to take more information.

Have a good trip!