We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam

Perth, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Vietnam

is it easy to change Austarlian Dollars to Dong in Vietnam and if so where can you do it

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,043 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam

Yes, most banks will do it. Be sure any cash notes are undamaged, no rips, tears, missing bits, writing etc.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam

Look for ANZ bank or Vietcombank in tourist cities like Hanoi, Hoi An, Ho Chi Minh city. But do not bring a lot of cash with you, ATM in Vietnam are quite convenient.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam

You can change some $'s into Dong at the Airport to get you by. As you exit the final customs scan after picking up your luggage, veer to the right and you will find some Currency exchange stalls....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnam

it is easy to change Austarlian Dollars to Dong in Vietnam. You can ask for help from receptionist at your hotel (small amount), for big amount, you should come to the banks. The ANZ is located near the Hoan Kiem Lake

cairns
Level Contributor
106 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam

well, in Hoi An I went to a bank close to my hotel, and they would not exchange AUD to Dong, only USD and Euro.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,043 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam

You must have gone to an atypical bank widder, we've exchange AUD in Hoi An with no problems at all.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vietnam

Quite easy to exchange money! AUD is generally accepted at the banks.

Just FYI: 01 AUD = 20,632VND (buying rate from Vietcombank)

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vietnam

A question would be why would you carry Australian???

They do have atm's in Vietnam that dispense VND

No need to carry Australian cash at all.

And if using the right card (28 degrees and Aussie) no conversion fees.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vietnam

I've always found a bit of cash and a card a good mix. Been to 5 hotels in the past 11 days and one of them was cash only but that was no problem as ATMs are everywhere. Every hotel is happy to exchange cash or pay the bill in Aus $s with the going rate as well.

Travelling with a few people at the moment and everyone has their own preferences but we've had no probs.

mark

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vietnam

its pretty obvious why one would carry Australian (or other home country cash) currency into Vietnam. The best exchange rates traditionally are doing it in the country of travel, NOT before leaving home, NOR at (departure or arriving) airports. I always do this when traveling in SE Asia, and never any problems. Hopefully Vietnam for a first trip in July will work fine too.

For a trip to Europe where carrying a large amount of money seemed unwise I obtained a pre paid travel card.....sure it worked, withdrew cash form ATMs as needed, and paid the withdrawl fee, which was cheaper than my home back charges for overseas use. But then these charges left an odd small amount of change on the card, which is just another chore to recover. Cards that offer no conversion fees sound fine, but one is always left wondering what the conversion rate will be (and will tomorrows rate be the same or not)......an unknown until after the purchase. Swapping Aust cash to Vietnam cash on arrival leaves you know doubt how much you have to spend. And you can enjoy your trip without monitoring exchanges rates.

Edited: 13 May 2013, 09:41