We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip/activity in/near/from Hanoi

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
day trip/activity in/near/from Hanoi

I am arriving in Hanoi early morning (8-9am), the day prior to commencing a 7 days tour which will include some of the more tourist orientated areas of Hanoi (Old Quarter) and then continues to Halong Bay.......I am looking for suggestions for what to do or see on the arrival days that wont be repeated in the tour. Thinking there might be a less visited area of Hanoi, Or some day trip that i could be picked for from the Airport on arrival (travel light so no large luggage to be a problem), and then dropped in the later part of day at my hotel.

Also that evening I would probably visit the Water Puppet Theatre. I notice my hotel offers to make bookings (at a cost i guess)...are booking essential ? Saturday evening in two weeks time. Is there only the one theatre in Hanoi, or the whole country, or will there be options elsewhere to experience this.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip/activity in/near/from Hanoi

Even though you'll be joining a tour, you could still just wander around the Old Quarter on your own. This area has so much to see, and it changes all the time, that you'll still enjoy it. I've been living and working in Hanoi for 12 years now and still dont tire of wandering around the old quarter. And much of this is best discovered not in a tour. And do keep in mind that given the high heat and humidity, you dont want to plan to do too much at once.

You could look into the schedule of your tour and see what museums they will be visiting. If they aren't scheduled, I would head to the Vietnam Museum of Ethnology or the Women's Museum. The Museum of Ethnology also has water puppet performances on the weekend. It, and the one near the lake, are the only two I know about in Hanoi.

There are also lots of craft villages around Hanoi that I like taking visitors to. My current favorite is the vermicelli (noodle) village. Bat Trang pottery village is also fun to visit. Here's a link to the various craft villages and other thing to do in Hanoi: …psu.edu/faculty/…Sightseeing.html

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip/activity in/near/from Hanoi

It would be better if you give us your draft itinerary, Suggestion will be made easier :) and don't repeat your programe. If you have free day time then the day trip to Bat Trang ceramic village, Duong Lam ancient Village, Perfume pagoda, Ninh Binh. All are worth to visit.

Hanoi downtown: Long Bien bridge, Temple of literature, ethnographic museum, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Tran Quoc Pagoda, walking around old quarter, nite market, etc

Cheers

TUN Travel

3. Re: day trip/activity in/near/from Hanoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 06:19