We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid Internet SIM card

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
115 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Prepaid Internet SIM card

Hi guys, I have another question.

I tried to check online but the websites are in Viet.

Any advice about how much a prepaid SIM card with unlimited Internet (for a few days) would cost?

Wikitravel says it will just cost about 50 000 Dong on Viettel for unlimited 3G - which is VERY cheap.

Is that true? Where can I get these SIM cards? Convenience stores (if they are common in Hanoi?)?

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid Internet SIM card

18 months ago I got a usb sim dongle by Viettel for 110,000. Unlimited, albeit quite slow, internet access for one month.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaid Internet SIM card

Ah ha my specialty. ;) Yes, a SIM card with unlimited 3G is that cheap, but it comes with a price...

I don't recommend Viettel as it's very slow with them. Depending on what you need, unlimited 3G plans may or may not be appropriate. With Mobifone, you'll get 500MB of data with max speed (7.2Mbps) and after that it's 256kbps (32kB/s) for the rest of the month. There are other plans which may better suit your needs. Last time I checked, Viettel's speed after passing the 500MB limit was half of that of Mobifone, which was 128kbps.

See https://mobifone3g.com.vn/index.aspx… for more info. Click English for English (obviously...).

You can buy a SIM card at a SIM card store which should look like this: vietq.vn/PublishingImages/…20dt.JPG

These stores are everywhere so you can either buy from them or ask the hotel staff to do that. A SIM card usually costs around 50,000 to 70,000 vnd and it always has a fixed amount of money in its balance (which is enough for the unlimited 3G plan, so no need to add additional credit to the card). If the balance says 0d (call "*101#" to check), you've been scammed.

Also take a look at this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293921-i8432-k670…

Edited: 29 July 2013, 23:26
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
115 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaid Internet SIM card

That was very helpful advice!

I'll go for Mobifone then. :)

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Prepaid Internet SIM card

A prepaid SIM card for 3G is 50,000VND (you will receive plus around 25,000VND). You could find it on any street vendor or small stores in Hanoi. The signal for you to know it is a small table with the sentence "Viettel". To register for 3G, you need to send sms to 191 with content "Mimax" for unlimited data or "Dmax" which costs you 100,000VND but it will give you 1536MB.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Prepaid Internet SIM card

For Viettel sim cards, though, you enter

3G ON and send it to 161.

Just in case...

6. Re: Prepaid Internet SIM card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 09:07
Moscow
Level Contributor
826 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prepaid Internet SIM card

By the way, I used Viettel on my iPad during a trip in July. I was in Hanoi and then travelled up the coast from Quy Nhon to Hue and beyond (about 700 km on the road). Good reception everywhere. I'm not promoting Viettel in any way, but just mentioning the quality of the reception.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Prepaid Internet SIM card

Viettel has the best coverage. If you need roaming abroad (most travellers do not), Mobifone is a better choice.

Edited: 07 August 2014, 23:22
Level Contributor
129 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prepaid Internet SIM card

I will be in Phu Quoc and Hanoi, as well as a day trip to Ha Long Bay. I assume no provider will work out on the bay, but which provider would be recommended for those locations otherwise? I care most about speed and quantity of data, not phone or texting. Sounds like Mobifone. Should be no problem to pick that up in HCMC airport during a 3 hour layover? If not, we will then be on Phu Quoc, will it be easy to pick up there?

Perth
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Prepaid Internet SIM card

Viettel is military network, you will pick up signal just about every where in VN. You can pickup a sim card just outside airport terminals, it takes about 5 to 10 minutes for the seller to set it up for you.