We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20 days in December itinerary

Toronto
Level Contributor
150 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
20 days in December itinerary

Hello,

I am planning our 20 days trip in Vietnam and probably in Angkor in this December. We are couple 50 y.y., looking for sightseeing and sea swimming, first time in Vietnam, not first time in Asia. After first week as couple we will continue trip together with our daughter. This is the reason why I am planning to visit Phu Quoc Island and Mekong delta in first week.

What do you think about this itinerary?.

TIA.

1.Mon, 16 Dec - Hanoi 6:30 arriving

2.Tue, 17 Dec - Hanoi - H.C.M - Phu Quoc Island

3.Wed, 18 Dec - Phu Quoc Island

4.Thu, 19 Dec - Phu Quoc Island

5.Fri, 20 Dec - Phu Quoc Island

6.Sat, 21 Dec - H.C.M - Mekong delta

7.Sun, 22 Dec - Mekong delta

8.Mon, 23 Dec - Mekong delta - H.C.M

9.Tue, 24 Dec - H.C.M

10.Wed, 25 Dec - H.C.M - Angkor

11.Thu, 26 Dec - Angkor

12.Fri, 27 Dec - Angkor - Hoi An

13.Sat, 28 Dec - Hoi An

14.Sun, 29 Dec - Hoi An - Hue city

15.Mon, 30 Dec - Hue city

16.Tue, 31 Dec - Hue city - Hanoi

17.Wed, 1 Jan - Hanoi - Halong bay

18.Thu, 2 Jan - Halong bay - Hanoi

19.Fri, 3 Jan - Hanoi

20.Sat, 4 Jan - Hanoi 23:40 departure

1. Re: 20 days in December itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 August 2013, 15:05
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 20 days in December itinerary

Hi,

Day 2: you can take a direct flight from Hanoi to Phu Quoc

Day 5: you can take a direct flight from Phu Quoc to Can Tho, the heart of the Mekong Delta, take it as a hub to explore the delta before traveling to HCM city.

Matthew Duong

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20 days in December itinerary

In december from Hoi An to north it will be too cold to swim.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 20 days in December itinerary

You should be able to swim in Hoi An all year. Here is a table I found using Google:

Long term water temperatures

Average sea temperature: 27.2°C

Maximum sea temperature: 31°C

Minimum sea temperature: 18°C

This is for all of Vietnam, since Hoi An is not in the extreme north, the average would be even warmer and so would the minimum.

In northern Europe we start swimming in the ocean at 16 centigrade. It is up to the OP whether that is too cold, of course.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,002 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20 days in December itinerary

It looks to me like you're zigzagging all over the place, which doesn't make for a good flow on the trip.

Perhaps you can study the SEA map again (while checking the flights availability) to come up with a more coherent itinerary for a pleasurable trip.

Have fun planning.

Regards,

John

Hanoi
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 20 days in December itinerary

To me 20 days seem many, and you can only explore Vietnam and a part of Cambodia? You said you have been to Asia, but which countries? You can think about some other options and lesser the number of days spent in each destination. Also, the first day of the trip can be a flight to Ho Chi Minh City and then transfer to Phu Quoc Island.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 20 days in December itinerary

Decemberis not a good time to visit the Central Vietnam includes Hoi An and Hue as it is the rainy season so I would skip this area at this time of year .

The North will be cold but still nice to visit . I would fly in Hanoi , spend a few nights to explore the North and fly to Saigon for 2 night then continue to visit the highlight of the South , The Mekong Delta for 3-4 nights before heading to Phu Quoc Island for the Beach. After that you can get to Ha Tien ( over 1 hour by speed boat from Phu Quoc )where you can cross the border into Cambodia to visit Phnompenh and Siemreap . You can also fly home from Siem Reap and no need to fly back to Hanoi again.If you look at the Map this route would be your best option that save you time and money from travel zigzagging, forth and back at several places as the above program that you had.

Cheers

Nhung

Toronto
Level Contributor
150 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 20 days in December itinerary

Thank you all for your advice.

Here is updated itinerary. All flights and hotels have been booked.

16 Dec: fly into Hanoi, 2 nights here

18 Dec: fly into Phu Quoc Island, 4 nights here

22 Dec: fly into Can Tho, 1 night here.

Activities on second day: floating market in the morning, boat ride on Mekong River, drive to H.C.M.

23-26 Dec: 3 nights in H.C.M

26 Dec: fly into Siem Reap, 2 nights here

28 Dec: fly into Hoi An, 2 nights here

30 Dec: fly into Hanoi, 5 nights here, including Halong bay (1-2 Jan) and probably Hoa Lu, Tam Coc (3 Jan)

4 Jan: fly out from Hanoi

To Matthew-Duong: thank you! We are using direct flights as you advised.

To Jim B and Maurizio04: we will spend 3 full days in Phu Quoc. Swimming in Hoi An is not planned, but who knows - if we will have time and its a warm day we may try to visit the local beach

To John_P_H9430: yes, we are zigzagging... we decided that with short flights and relatively cheap tickets we're OK to cover things in less optimal order, but one that makes it easier for us to meet (daughter flying from Toronto in the middle of trip)

To AnnJing: We've already been in India, Thailand, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, China - happy to focus on Vietnam this trip.

To mangocruises: We fly out from Hanoi because flight tickets have been purchased. I could not include Ha Tien and Phnompenh, no time. Hoi An is included due to girls wanting to see the fabrics there.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
69 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 20 days in December itinerary

I just think that 3 nights in HCM city is quite too much. Hoi An is still very worthy to visit in Dec. If you can revise the booking, I would recommend you 3 days 2 nights in Halong Bay. Wish you a great trip in Vietnam and Cambodia.

Catania, Italy
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 20 days in December itinerary

Hello, I've seen the climate statistics for the center (my stops will be Hoi An - Hue - My Son), it seems to me that December there is still too much rainy. It is doable visiting this area without ruining those days that I would spend there (few, unfortunately) at the end of December? It rains continuously (end of the monsoon) or is it tropical storms? Thank you.

Edited: 29 August 2013, 12:29