We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not trust taxi's in Hanoi

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Do not trust taxi's in Hanoi

My wife and 4yo daughter booked a taxi through a café we had lunch at near St Joseph cathedral. The Mai Linh taxi arrived and we advised we wanted to go to the Ho Chi Minh Museum (famous and well known landmark) and showed the driver the local map and pointed to it. This is about a 20 minute walk but it was hot and hard for my 4yo.

Driver seemed not to know how to get to the Museum (??) and went around it on a different road. I could see where we were on the map and had to guide him back. He would not turn off the meter and kept pulling over and not driving. Eventually we just got out not knowing exactly where we were which is a little scary with a young one. Cost was $142,000 D (about $70,000 too much) and we recorded the taxi number.

Our hotel advised that they attempted to report this to Mai Linh with no response. I would not trust Mai Linh taxi's and the company do not seem to respond to these issues. I would advise if you catch a taxi you should al least know roughly where you are going and what the rough cost should be. I could have directed him myself it was that close. Also take a photo of the taxi before getting in and the driver which we did later to attempt to keep them honest and to have evidence if something happens.

Hanoi is a great city and it is a shame that the taxi's can not be trusted. It would help tourism a lot if they policed this better.

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1 post
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not trust taxi's in Hanoi

Hi,

When we were in Ha noi last year our hotel staff told us to only use the taxi's with a red stripe down the sides. There were a few different names but one of them was Hanoi Taxis. Never had any issues when following this advice

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not trust taxi's in Hanoi

Taxi's in Ha Noi are the worst, guaranteed the most corrupt. Watch for meters that increment every few seconds! Regards,

Richard

Edited: 02 October 2013, 03:26
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not trust taxi's in Hanoi

There are many taxis that painted as Mai Linh or other famous taxis brands, so be careful when you catch one on the road. It is safer to call the operator or ask the hotel to arrange it for you.

leicester
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not trust taxi's in Hanoi

Always ask your hotel to arrange taxis and get a fee before you set off. Notorious for ripping you off but some are genuine and hotels don't tend to risk using dodgy ones as it impacts on their reputation.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not trust taxi's in Hanoi

There are too many taxis in Hanoi and some of them are not good. You should ask your hotel for a taxi before going out to avoid that problem.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not trust taxi's in Hanoi

Isn't it about time for a sticky on the subject of taxis?

Something like:

Do not, as a rule, trust any taxi driver in Vietnam. Vinasun and Mai Linh, where available, have the best track record, but there are black sheep even in those flocks. Etc. etc., ad nauseam. Remember to include advice to ask the driver overcharging you to swing by the closest đồn cảnh sát (police station) before you exit the taxi (that might settle him down). Advice as to ask you hotel reception about the approx. distance and fare, hand held photo of the driver's license, note the fare/km printed on the door. That sort of thin.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 11:22
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not trust taxi's in Hanoi

Jim in Saigon using Vinasun the problems are very limited.

In smaller city I walk.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,706 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do not trust taxi's in Hanoi

Jim, Vinasun doesn't operate in the north. In Hanoi, Taxi Group is now the most reliable company.

When Mai Linh sold a lot of its taxis in Hanoi (cash flow problem) it's possible that some were bought by rogue individuals or firms who retained the Mai Linh livery. Hence the problem with some 'Mai Linh' taxis hailed on the street; ones ordered by phone are perfectly safe.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not trust taxi's in Hanoi

Vinasun seems working only in Saigon unfortunately.

Even in Mui Ne or Nha Trang a lot of Mai Linh and I do not trust the brand anymore after the near bankruptcy.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do not trust taxi's in Hanoi

Whatever, someone please do the sticky.