We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In and around Hanoi

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
In and around Hanoi

Hi folks,

I will be in Hanoi for a few days in early dec and have some questions about it.

1) What's the best way to move around town? Would renting a scooter do, or maybe best to get taxi and do some walking? I will be staying in the center and would like to see as much as possible.

2) Aside from Halong Bay, what would you visit around Hanoi? Any remarkable town or site?

Cheers

WS

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In and around Hanoi

Walk. Central Hanoi is quite compact and most attractions are within walking distance of the Old Quarter.

It is illegal for you to ride a scooter unless you hold a Vietnamese motorcycle license, and given the chaotic traffic and the impenetrability of the informal road rules you would probably cause an accident in just a few minutes if you did hire one!

For attractions, click on the green 'Things to Do' tab at the top of the page and cherry pick those which take your fancy.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 17:16
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,155 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In and around Hanoi

In my opinion, walking is the only way to really experience the Old Quarter or anywhere else in Hanoi

Taxis are hard to use and you have to pick carefully if you don't want to be scammed

good map links at the bottom of this page: http://especen.vn/faq.htm

leicester
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In and around Hanoi

If you only have a few days, you won't have much spare time if you intend to go to Halong as that is four hours away by bus. Loads to see just wandering in the old quarter and various sites. Walking is fun and much better than by taxi or moped which as CB has already said you are best to avoid. Even if it was legal, its still mental on the roads and sometimes the pavements!

Hanoi, Ha Noi...
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: In and around Hanoi

Hi Warrenstreet ,

Walk or Cyclo in Hanoi Old Quarter.

You can visit around Hanoi: Hoa Lu – Tam Coc (1 Day), Mai Chau (2 Days), Sapa Trekking (4 Nights), Halong Bay (2 Days) (highly recommend: Halong Bay)

Enjoy your trip!

Lisa

Vietnam Style Travel

5. Re: In and around Hanoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2013, 12:51
6. Re: In and around Hanoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2013, 11:50
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In and around Hanoi

if you just need to discover Hanoi city highlight and do it by your self can get around by taxi, but should be-careful with fleeing Taxi. A little more adventure style is renting a motor bike, just need normal Honda Dream 110 CC or Honda wave with automatic clutter. Around Hanoi there are many handcraft villages such as make bird cages, make pan, weave silk, pottery, wood carving, ceramic... a few ancient village for example Cuu village, Cu Da village , i think that would be nice to go for wonder around very nice region by bike

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In and around Hanoi

Some advise from a Hanoian (me):

1. For old quater, by foot is best.

2. For other sights around HN, if you dare, you can rent a bike and have fun with it. You can drive &learn slowly, and will be able to blend into the organic traffic within an hour. The police will never check foreigners for license.

3. If motorbike is not an option, use "safe" taxis to get around HN. You can pick taxi from the street, so you can change taxi from destination to destination. Safe taxis are MAILINH (green) and GROUP (white - pink,), they are everywhere.

4. Beside Halong Bay, you can visit SAPA and other attractions listed on this site.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In and around Hanoi

Hmm well I just rented one without a licence in Sapa! maybe they check licences more in the big cities. I wouldn't ride a scooter in any of the Vietnamese cities - traffic is too crazy and dangerous. In towns like Sapa it's OK though.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In and around Hanoi

I used cyclos quite a bit in the OQ-actually felt safer than on foot. If you're prepared to pay the modest fee, they go around slowly, allow you to take it all in, save your energy in the Hanoi heat, and avoid the motorbikes coming at you from every direction!