We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning Itin...testing the water.. as it were..

Bolton
Level Contributor
514 posts
324 reviews
Save Topic
planning Itin...testing the water.. as it were..

very very early days for an Itin for Nov 2014.

I would like to do Manc - Bangkok ( 2) nights ish and from there definitely do Hanoi, Sapa & Halong Bay. I have to do Sat- Sat for 2 weeks.

If poss, I'd do Chiang Mai at some point.

forgive me for seeming like a numpty but would this be do-able?

( I had a fab 2 weeks in Cambodia going DIY last year after all my numpty questions on TA!)

thank you in anticipation.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: planning Itin...testing the water.. as it were..

I'd research the climate, risk of fog in November.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planning Itin...testing the water.. as it were..

I question how reasonable it is to potentially visit two countries in two weeks with only two days in Bangkok (and potentially how many in Chiang Mai?). Perhaps a week visiting Bangkok and Chiang Mai and a week in the south of Vietnam, maybe Sai Gon and the Delta. Even that would be very compressed travel with several internal and international flights. Better to spend the entire two weeks in one country in my opinion. Good luck and Happy travels!

Richard

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: planning Itin...testing the water.. as it were..

Agree with other poster in that you're trying to do too much. I had 2 weeks in Thailand last Nov, covering Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chang Rai and Pattaya and it was just right for me. The weather was perfect. I've also had 2 weeks in Vietnam in other Nov and the weather limits you to a degree in that it's inclined to be cold and wet in Hanoi, wet in Hoi An and the central coast but tropical in Saigon, I know what I'd be doing, hope you enjoy yourself.

Bolton
Level Contributor
514 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: planning Itin...testing the water.. as it were..

thanks for all your advice. Bit disappointed with the weather reports.

I would like to see Halong bay as my daughter brought me a painting back and it inspires me to go but I'm not overly interested in doing South Vietnam- no disrespect . I thought if I flew to Hanoi, there would be a layover in Doha- not checked yet, but I wanted a change and thought about going via Bangkok and making it a short break there then flying ? Air Asia to Hanoi.

like I said these are very tentative plans at the moment ( going tonGoa in 7w!)

thanks for all your advice....maybe "back to the drawing board" as it were.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: planning Itin...testing the water.. as it were..

"Bit disappointed with the weather reports."

How about some nice ones then? :-)

This year I spent the entire month of November in Hanoi, and apart from a couple of days with some slight rainfall the weather was absolutely delicious - warm (24-27 C) and sunny with blue sky and a few fluffy white clouds. Perfect. In other years it has been mainly overcast in November, but coming from the UK it felt pleasantly warm and there was no rain.

Even if it turns out to be be misty in Halong Bay, that just adds to the atmosphere. Go for it!

Edited: 09 January 2014, 10:23
Bolton
Level Contributor
514 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: planning Itin...testing the water.. as it were..

CB, I know what you mean about the mist/ low cloud...there are photos of Halong Bay on TA taken by travellers that show it being cloudy etc rather than postcard perfect and it still looks beautiful so I'd be ok with "mist"

Cheers!!

Still planning :)

Flights £500 :)))

leicester
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: planning Itin...testing the water.. as it were..

I agree with CB, Halong is sometimes more 'Lord of the rings' in mist and rain. I think if you are in Bangkok I would then spend the rest of the time in Vietnam, two weeks in the north seeing Halong, Ninh Binh, maybe Sapa will mean you can spend sufficient time in Hanoi exploring its nooks and crannies. The longer you have there the more it offers up its treasures in my opinion.

Bolton
Level Contributor
514 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: planning Itin...testing the water.. as it were..

Thanks for that , really positive ( never heard of Ninh Binh though lol)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: planning Itin...testing the water.. as it were..

Good advice here. The bad weather in November is mainly in the central area. The north can be quite pleasant (although they think it is cold, which is a relative term). I think JoLeicester is right and do check out Ninh Binh to see if it is your cup of tea. i think if Halong Bay inspires you, you will love Ninh Binh.

If you want to do Chiang Mai, save it for another trip (perhaps North Thailand and Laos). Or spend your 2 weeks in Thailand and do Vietnam when you can do a longer trip (3 weeks minimum).

Bolton
Level Contributor
514 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: planning Itin...testing the water.. as it were..

Thanks WG, I'm coming to that conclusion now and I've read that Ninh Binh is the inland Halong Bay.

I think if we can get round the north of Vietnam- for now- that will be good. Just not sure about the transport system. In Cambodia we took a lot of buses to see it which we're ok but not sure if it would be the same in Vietnam.