We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is the old quarter from the airport?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
569 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
How far is the old quarter from the airport?

we have a 7 hour layover in the airport and dont want to sit around for all that time,Ive heard the airport is not very interesting..Could someone help with ideas and cheap transportation please ...Thanks in advance :)

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is the old quarter from the airport?

Do you arrive with a domestic flight and don't need immigration?

In this case:

* Leaving the airport, storing baggage at airport: 0,5h

* Taxi to old quarter: 1h

* Taxi back to the airport: 1h

* Being at the airport in advance to a (domestic, international?) flight: 2h

> leaving you a maximum of 3 hours in the old quarter if everything works quickly. Taxi is around 15$ one way.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is the old quarter from the airport?

Also depends on whether your layover is an international transit. If so, going through the visa hassle certainly isn't worth it for 7 hours.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
569 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far is the old quarter from the airport?

Hi yes its a domestic flight from danang to hanoi we get there at 5 afternoon and fly back to uk at quarter past midnight :) what you think I was thinking what pzinken was saying just spending 3 hours in the old quarter..just asked hanoi transfer service for a quote and they want to charge $50 for there and back,sounds very costly!!!..Have heard taxi scams are rife there so dont know what to do? :)

Edited: 08 February 2014, 14:32
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How far is the old quarter from the airport?

Lounge.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
295 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far is the old quarter from the airport?

Most famous sites are closed at that time. You can only walk around the old quarter or enjoy food. I thought you visited Hanoi as you are going back home country. You'd better stay at the aiport.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far is the old quarter from the airport?

Noi Bai is a mind-bogglingly boring airport and there's absolutely nothing of interest to do there, but with an international flight to catch I wouldn't want to run the risk of something going wrong with the return journey to the airport from central Hanoi.

There's a restaurant/cafe in the international departure lounge where you could have a meal at a very leisurely pace, and there are some shops that could occupy half an hour if you examine every item on sale. For the rest, a gripping book and/or whatever you have on your iPod/phone/tablet in the way of music etc.will have to suffice. I don't envy you!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
569 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far is the old quarter from the airport?

Thanks all....No I wont have seen Hanoi as were just flying there for the connection.....Will have seen Saigon,Siem reap and Hoi An......Is there a lounge I can go in and if so do I book???

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far is the old quarter from the airport?

wouldn't even think of leaving the airport even though as Bones has said it's totally boring. Can't remember ever seeing a lounge as such but there is a nice relaxing sort of a restaurant where you can relax in comfort and a few small shops where you can use your remaining dong, if any. A good book helps, hope you enjoy some of it.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
551 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How far is the old quarter from the airport?

But you arrive in the late afternoon and miss out the best part of the day when the Old Quarter is bustling and congested. All the museums and sights will be closed by then, although you can enjoy a nice meal before heading back to the airport.

In any case, head out to the city. There is nothing to do at the airport.

Bangkok, Thailand
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How far is the old quarter from the airport?

Hi,

it takes less than 1 hr (peak hour) from Airport to Old Quarter and expect ~ $20USD 'on meter'.

You may be able to negotiate a set price of $15 if you can communicate well enough.

For trip back to Airport try walking into a budget hotel and ask them to organize it for you - $15 (meter will always be ~$20)

If you look at your mapping in taxi you'll notice they will take you on a seemingly Eastern bypass route (not the most direct); this is ok.

Vietnamese are honest, proud and hard working so best not assume a rippoff in progress, like some other 'tourist nations'.

It's cold here now so bring a jacket and good shoes.

Have fun!