We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is that safe to travel to Hanoi on 17-20 May ?

Kuala Selangor...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is that safe to travel to Hanoi on 17-20 May ?

Hi,

I am a chinese from Malaysia, would like to know is that safe to travel to Hanoi tomorrow until next tuesday? I heard that taiwan people saying chinese now hard to go even airport to escape to their hometown. My travel area will be at halong bay, hoa lu - tam coc and city area.

Is those place above safe from attacked ? I even heard there will be big demonstration on 18 May.

Any advise ?

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is that safe to travel to Hanoi on 17-20 May ?

I am in the same dilemma also. Will some Samaritans please advise us. Tq.

Malaysia
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is that safe to travel to Hanoi on 17-20 May ?

I heard the demostration event online as well, but sense nothing while walkiing in hanoi city.

Can try call hanoi malaysia embassey?

I tried but failed to get thru

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
848 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is that safe to travel to Hanoi on 17-20 May ?

The riots were under controlled immediately and was way away form any place that tourists would be. There's not such thing that Chinese or Chinese origin having problem in Hanoi or Saigon or anything like you heard. The protests in Hanoi or Saigon were in peace, it is to protest the China government to drag their rig back to China. Nothing to against Chinese or Chinese-origin.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is that safe to travel to Hanoi on 17-20 May ?

No worry, It is very safe in touristy places

Penang Island...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is that safe to travel to Hanoi on 17-20 May ?

I received such reply from the travel agent in Hanoi, and I'm wondering how true it is?

Anyone is at Hanoi now?

The riot was by workers who was in industrial zones far away from Hanoi (it is in the South of Hanoi where Chinese live but Hanoi and Halong bay is the North of Vietnam)

Moreover, our government sent urgent message to embassy to guarantee that there will NOT happened as last time any more. Everything is in control now

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Halong Bay
Halong Bay
9,105 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is that safe to travel to Hanoi on 17-20 May ?

I'm also going to be in Hanoi on May 31-June 4. Up until yesterday, I wasn't worried, but the news today is a bit more serious. I'm a solo traveler too so that's another thing. Hmmm, does anybody have an up-to-date word on the current situation/overall mood in Hanoi? Anything we could do to ease tension? I'm very obviously Chinese-looking so any word of advice would be much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,883 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is that safe to travel to Hanoi on 17-20 May ?

My business partner who is Chinese/Vietnamese tells me to-day that the riots in the south are no longer a problem and the workforce will be resuming work to-morrow (Saturday).

Cheers Ross

Hanoi, Vietnam
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is that safe to travel to Hanoi on 17-20 May ?

all things are under control now. There are still many tourist walking around Hoan Kiem lake in peace.

Do not mind coming Hanoi

Mentioned in this post
Hoan Kiem Lake Hotel
Hoan Kiem Lake Hotel
69 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is that safe to travel to Hanoi on 17-20 May ?

Thanks for the updates, Ross and Smart. Much appreciated.

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is that safe to travel to Hanoi on 17-20 May ?

Hi, I just came back from Hanoi and in the city area / old quarter area is safe.

Cheers,

PY

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam