We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanoi/Siem Reap/Luang Prabang(?)

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Comfort, Texas
13 posts
Save Topic
Hanoi/Siem Reap/Luang Prabang(?)

My wife and I have booked a river cruise/land tour that visits Vietnam, Cambodia and the Mekong. It starts in Hanoi and ends in Ho Chi Minh City. The land tour starts in Hanoi for two days, two days visiting Ha Long Bay, two days visiting Siem Reap and then we start a 7 day Mekong cruise ending with two days in Ho Chi Minh City. We have the option of skipping the land tour and just doing the 7 day cruise which we intend to do.

The reason we are skipping the land tour is because we feel it is rushed and we also enjoy independent travel. We like an occasional cruise if it has the right itinerary fully recognizing the negative aspects of the short port visits. Our plan is to travel independently to Hanoi and spend 4 nights there then four nights in Siem Reap where we would meet the ship and start the cruise. In researching this trip I have been quite impressed by what I have read about Luang Prabang in Laos. It seems to have many of the characteristics that we enjoy in our travels. Would it be worth the logistical effort to sandwich a 4 night visit to Luang Prabang between our stays in Hanoi and Siem Reap? I should add that due to the age factor and our interests in exploring new places a return visit to this part of the world is not likely.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,298 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanoi/Siem Reap/Luang Prabang(?)

Luang Prabang is awesome and certainly worth at least 4 days, but it is also quite touristy these days. I suggest coming back to Vietnam another time, and spending a month seeing only VN - friendliest place in SE Asia!

travelfish.org/location/…luang_prabang

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,413 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanoi/Siem Reap/Luang Prabang(?)

save Laos for another trip ... to Laos & Cambodia - at least 4 weeks and really get to see some more of these amazing countries - there is more to each than just the two cities you are asking about

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanoi/Siem Reap/Luang Prabang(?)

Sure. If you can't get back for another visit and your time is really that limited, then you should do the four night visit to Luang Prabang.

Comfort, Texas
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanoi/Siem Reap/Luang Prabang(?)

Nomad, thank you for answering my question. You understood my situation exactly. This will be it for this part of the world for my wife and I. The question I had was, under our particular circumstances, is Luang Prabang worth the detour. I don't have a good grasp on the travel logistics in this part of the world so if adding Laos to our itinerary is not practical, so be it. We will be content to skip it. However, if in the estimation of those of you who know the landscape better than I do believe it is worthwhile, then I will consider adding Luang Prabang to our itinerary.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanoi/Siem Reap/Luang Prabang(?)

Hi no probs - check out the reviews on the Bellerive Hotel in Luang Prabang - I had some trouble with a theft there which I detailed in my review but that has since been dealt with so aside from that it's a good choice.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanoi/Siem Reap/Luang Prabang(?)

Comfort, check out Rome2Rio.com. It gives you travel info (flight, drive, train, etc). Why it's helpful is to see where the direct connections are. E.g., I had to rule out one place I wanted to go because I could see the logistics just weren't worth it. It might give you some insight into your HCMC vs BKK question. E.g., if your flight is going through BKK already, well..... Splitting the four days may be just fine. When are you going?

For what it's worth, we decided to piece it together on our own and will join recommended tours and/or get a private guide along the way.

Miami
Level Contributor
39 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanoi/Siem Reap/Luang Prabang(?)

What tour/boat company are you using? My husband and I always travel on our own because we like the independence but I'm a little concerned that we might spend too much time arranging things if we don't have some tours pre-arranged. I welcome any suggestions you can share based on your research.

Thank you

Edited: 16 June 2014, 22:47
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanoi/Siem Reap/Luang Prabang(?)

Luang Prabang is worth the detour but it's not the only destination in Laos and ideally you would spend at least 10 days in the country, visiting LP and the north, Vientiane, Pakse, Champasak and the Bolaven Plateau at a minimum. And 2 days in Siem Reap is, I'm afraid, ridiculous.

9. Re: Hanoi/Siem Reap/Luang Prabang(?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:15