We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanoi to Da Nang...Livitrans, standard soft sleeper..or?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Hanoi to Da Nang...Livitrans, standard soft sleeper..or?

Hiya all. We are planning to take the overnight train from Hanoi to Danang in a few weeks. I have seen a lot of good and some dire bad about this trip. Is the train really that bad? Is Livitrans worth the extra $? Do they really lock the door from Livitrans to the rest of the train so we can't go to dining car?

ANY comments welcome, especially if you have experience to compare to soft sleeper berths on China trains. I am very happy with those...are they similar?

Thanks much.

leicester
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanoi to Da Nang...Livitrans, standard soft sleeper..or?

If you are setting off in Hanoi which is the first stop you should be fine as you get your cabin and that's yours rather than getting on further down and maybe having to get in one that's been in use already. The trains are not luxurious, but they are ok for a night. Take water, wet wipes, some food and it's ok. The toilets can get a bit feral but how often will you use them? Personally having done both, I would now opt to fly as its not much more more expensive and its so much quicker when you are on a limited time frame. You don't lose a nights sleep and you arrive as fresh as when you left.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,368 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanoi to Da Nang...Livitrans, standard soft sleeper..or?

I suggest Livitrans, but I have to say that it's been a few years since I've taken the service. I also suggest bringing your own food/drink. Danang southbound service leaves from Hanoi Ga A (main station). Yes, I believe the extra cost is worth it for comfort and security reasons.

(I walked the length of the train and into the dining car - not much to eat there)

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanoi to Da Nang...Livitrans, standard soft sleeper..or?

Fly, its cheaper in the long run

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanoi to Da Nang...Livitrans, standard soft sleeper..or?

Hi all,

We are contemplating the same, should we train or fly,,,,,, we would enjoy the experience/adventure however are being put off by the advice to fly due to all the negative post's re: tiredness/quickness,,,, think we might opt for train for adventure element as has been pointed out on my original post, we could fly anytime, in Australia , it's a one off to travel in Vietnam on train! Might book the posh one though!!! Tony

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang, Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanoi to Da Nang...Livitrans, standard soft sleeper..or?

Dining car?....quite a laugh, there's a car where you can get something to eat, sometimes. They also bring this food around in a cart. Along with other snacks.Maybe a shorter trip by train will fulfill your adventure factor.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,831 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanoi to Da Nang...Livitrans, standard soft sleeper..or?

I also thought it would be an adventure and took the overnight Golden train last night from HCMC to Nha Trang...

it was not horrendous by any means but let me put you straight..There is no 'posh' version and it is truly not an adventure.

seriously take a flight.

Moscow
Level Contributor
868 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanoi to Da Nang...Livitrans, standard soft sleeper..or?

I took the overnight Hanoi-Da Nang train last May. It was the later train which leaves Hanoi around 11.00 pm. The beds are quite hard and the train rattles around so one ends up with a somewhat erratic sleep. Try and get a lower bunk because it's cooler down there. It's a great experience and the views passing through the low hills and paddy fields for 3 or 4 hours in the morning were beautiful and worth the trip alone. The food trolley which comes by in the morning serves great grilled quail and chicken satays!

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanoi to Da Nang...Livitrans, standard soft sleeper..or?

Took the train from Hanoi to Hue in March 2015. It was certainly overpriced and quite an experience! Especially so when 5 members of a Vietnamese family piled into 1 bunk! Thankfully they were only there a few hours! We took snacks so we're fine with them. Beds were ok but you're unlikely to get a great nights sleep with all the bouncing around and occasional sharp braking. If I was doing the journey again I would fly. Also worth noting that if you get on further down the line, you may be sleeping in a bed someone has already used. Hope that's useful info for those looking into it.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,368 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanoi to Da Nang...Livitrans, standard soft sleeper..or?

Livitrans no longer serves Danang (only Hanoi-Hue)

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,917 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hanoi to Da Nang...Livitrans, standard soft sleeper..or?

Old thread - the OP's trip took place in June/July 2014.