We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temporary SIM card for phone and iPad in Hanoi

Moscow
Level Contributor
849 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Temporary SIM card for phone and iPad in Hanoi

Can one buy a SIM card for temporary phone connection (local calls only)? And for data connection on an iPad (about 2GB needed)? Needed for 10 days in Hanoi. If so, which is the best service provider? Any recommendations much appreciated.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temporary SIM card for phone and iPad in Hanoi

I have used Viettel for 5 yrs with no coverage problems and you can call home very cheaply with it too.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temporary SIM card for phone and iPad in Hanoi

Yes, I'm a Viettel fan too, not only because there is barely a place in Vietnam where a signal can't be received, no matter how remote or mountain-enclosed (which is not always the case with the other main providers) but also because their top-up offers of 50% free credit seem to happen more frequently.

Sim cards for Viettel and all other mobile telecom providers can be purchased for a song from small shops all over Hanoi - just look out for signs saying Thế Sim.

Data wotsits I wouldn't have a clue about because I've never needed one, but presumably they can be bought in the same places. Perhaps. Help chaps, I'm out of my depth here!!!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temporary SIM card for phone and iPad in Hanoi

They will fit you sim into the ipad for you. Go into any mobole phone shop and they will set it all up for you. You will find many if those shops in the old quarter.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temporary SIM card for phone and iPad in Hanoi

We have Sprint as our US provider. I'm old and "E-challenged", so please excuse what may be a "DUH": Will a Viettel SIM work in our phones (IPhone and Android)? Many thanks.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temporary SIM card for phone and iPad in Hanoi

That will depending on whether yiu are locked into plan. Use your smart phone only to access the free wifi in your hotel and bring along with you an old basic phone that nobody will want to steal. It is very cheap to ring home using Viettel. Eg. Vietnam to Norway 10 min talking for $2.

Moscow
Level Contributor
849 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temporary SIM card for phone and iPad in Hanoi

Thank you all - very helpful.

Moscow
Level Contributor
849 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temporary SIM card for phone and iPad in Hanoi

I see that Viettel are the biggest provider with about 40% of the market: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viettel_Mobile

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temporary SIM card for phone and iPad in Hanoi

Viettel and Mobifone are both owned by the military and are the biggest providers of mobile connections

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Temporary SIM card for phone and iPad in Hanoi

Changes are afoot with Mobifone:

http://www.totaltele.com/view.aspx?ID=486703

Panay Island...
Level Contributor
79 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Temporary SIM card for phone and iPad in Hanoi

Sprint is a CDMA network which is not compatible with GSM networks such as in Vietnam (and much of the rest of the world). Some CDMA phones do accept SIM cards and may be able to access GSM networks, but many do not. Sprint is rolling out an LTE network but not sure if LTE exists in Vietnam or if so it's compatible with Sprint's.