We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good places to eat local food

Mumbai
Level Contributor
211 posts
287 reviews
Save Topic
Good places to eat local food

I will be visiting Hanoi mid September for 3 days and am looking forward to eating local food at local shops. Any suggestions are welcome. Also I am told that there is a food street not to be missed. But do not have its name or location. Any other suggestions also of help. Thanks.

Level Contributor
703 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good places to eat local food

Just walk around, there will be food everywhere

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,726 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good places to eat local food

"Food Street" is Tong Duy Tan and is situated on the south-western corner of the Cathedral District to the west of Hoan Kiem Lake:

http://goo.gl/maps/qWDpp

Street food can be found everywhere in central Hanoi, more so in the evening than during the day. Indoor eateries serving local food are open all day.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good places to eat local food

I might sound like a groupie but we loved New day restaurant in Ma may street in the Old Quarter. Plenty of locals and an amazing menu. Next best was Bun cha which you will see everywhere. Pork being bbqed on the street in little griddles and then added to a tasty soup. Awesome.

Mark

Mumbai
Level Contributor
211 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good places to eat local food

Thanks for all the imputs...my mouth is already watering ...looking forward to my visit...

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,658 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good places to eat local food

Want some really really good seafood? Try Hai San Gia Dinh at 94 Tran Vu on the southeastern shore of Truc Bach Lake - fresh off the grill to your plate

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,726 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good places to eat local food

I second daawgon's recommendation. I've eaten there many times, but always with a local so I don't know whether they speak English (do they daawgon?)

Before ordering, get them to write down the prices of what you want (you will probably have to point - I don't think they have a menu) as some things are very expensive indeed. Small shellfish such as clams are cheap, as are baby squid. Giant prawns, crab and lobster are expensive.

If you're staying in the Old Quarter you had best go by taxi as it's a long walk from there to Truc Bach Lake.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,658 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good places to eat local food

You're right, CB - probably no English at all, but sign language always works well.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
211 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good places to eat local food

I am staying at Hanoi Old Town Hotel which was suggested by Air Asia when I booked my flight from KL to Hanoi....unbelievably cheap with all the discounts. Besides the Manager called me at my home in Mumbai and checked if I needed any further help. The people of Hanoi were always very courteous from what I remember of a trip many many years ago. I love sea food,,so I will take advice from MrTiep Le and probably get him to write down what I would like to eat.....maybe someone from the hotel might come along. Do any one of you like to join me? The bill is on me....am a solo woman traveller, ancient in age, but still quite agile...or so I think!! Hope the Hotel is good too.

9. Re: Good places to eat local food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 17:36
10. Re: Good places to eat local food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 08:05