We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa on Arrival - Get visa at different airport?

United Kingdom
4 posts
Save Topic
Visa on Arrival - Get visa at different airport?

Hi,

A friend and I are travelling to Hong Kong from the UK soon and we have a 3 hour transfer in Ho Chi Minh City on the way there, and 9 hours in Hanoi on the way back. We are thinking of getting Visas on Arrivals for the wait in Hanoi so we could leave the airport but I'm worried about the time it might take to actually get the visa in Hanoi.

If we apply for the visa before we leave, can we use the letter get the vietnamese visa from Ho Chi Minh City Airport, but not actually use it to enter Vietnam until we arrive in Hanoi on the way back? Or will we need to use it in HCM city and therefore apply for a multiple entry?

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa on Arrival - Get visa at different airport?

Forget about it.

To get Voa you ENTER Vietnam so not useful in HCMC.

For Hanoi it is not a busy airport so in max 15 minutes you get it, but it will cost you 10$+45$ minimum, not worth it. Always find a long stopover in a free visa country....

In case you want to spend money...

The VOA FAQ:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293921-c148049/Vietn…

Some VOA web sites usually recommended on the forum

http://vietnamvisapro.com (10$)

http://hotels-in-vietnam.com (14$)

United Kingdom
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa on Arrival - Get visa at different airport?

Thanks for your advice.

Is it really not worth it? I think we will go out of our minds waiting around for 9 hours in the airport - i would rather pay to experience another country for a while, even if it is only for a couple of hours...is the airport far away from any attractions in hanoi?

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa on Arrival - Get visa at different airport?

Never been to Hanoi, but the airport is even worse than HCMC....

9 hours are ok to go to the city, you are departing so not tired and no luggage problem, they will stay in the airport. You will have a boarding pass so no need to be at the airport 3 hours before the flight, just at least 1 hour...

remember to change back Dong, they are worthless once departed...

and wait for the suggestions from the hanoi experts....CB where are you?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,155 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa on Arrival - Get visa at different airport?

9 hrs is plenty of time to get to the center of Hanoi and back to the airport, but remember this town goes to bed early/11pm. It's about an hour to the Old Quarter - the place you should head for (tell the cabbie you want City View Cafe). You have to be careful of cabs in VN - suggest you only use Mai Linh Group cabs, and don't try to pay inside the airport for a taxi.

You might want to get a short tour of the city too - PM me if you'd like the name of my friend the agent (he can also do your VOA for you).

VOA at HAN is quite efficient, and getting faster all the time!

(9 hrs in HAN airport is like torture!)

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa on Arrival - Get visa at different airport?

Hello Rod,

It takes you 45 minutes to travel betwen airport and Ha Noi (it could be 30' in case no traffic). Ho Chi Minh airport is close to the centre more (about 20' to get the centre).

9 hours is very worthy visit the Ha Noi centre. But 3 hours not really in Ho Chi Minh, better to stay in the airport.

Have good time!

Cheers,

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa on Arrival - Get visa at different airport?

HCMC to/from airport may be closer than Hanoi but it takes 45m/1h and 150.000d..

7. Re: Visa on Arrival - Get visa at different airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 05:16