We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time from Hoan Kiem District to airport

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Time from Hoan Kiem District to airport

We will be returning from Halong Bay, is it best to go straight to the airport (if this is possible to arrange) from this day trip or return to our hotel and then proceed from there?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time from Hoan Kiem District to airport

Hi HelNbak,

It depends on your flight time. It takes around 45 minutes from Hoan Kiem district to the airport. Transfer from Halong bay straightly to the airport will be more costly than you come back Hanoi with cruise's shuttle bus, then go to airport from there.

Happy travels!

Edited: 10 August 2014, 03:09
Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Time from Hoan Kiem District to airport

You should watch your flight time carefully. Most of the cruises in Ha Long Bay finish around 10:30 am and they will transfer you back to Hanoi with the shuttle bus ( Share with other passengers). But they normally stop on the way for the break at the shops for about 30 minutes usually. But if some of passengers get into serious shopping and you might miss your flight.

The drive from Ha Long bay to Hanoi is around 4 hours and you should be at the airport around 3 hours before the departure time ( for international flight ) and 1,5 hours for domestic flight.

So you might want to look into the private car option as well just in case.

Good luck !

Edited: 10 August 2014, 04:07
Hanoi, Vietnam
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Time from Hoan Kiem District to airport

I do suggest you get to the airport from Hanoi if your flight time is not too tight. It normally takes you around one hour to go from the old quarter to the airport at off-peak time and you'll need about another 1 hour to get registered at the airport.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hue
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time from Hoan Kiem District to airport

Hi,

You don't say your flight time. Tour buses are unlikely to have you back at your hotel before 4.30 pm. So I suggest you take the advice in some previous threads:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293924-i8595-k…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293923-i9984-k744…

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hue
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time from Hoan Kiem District to airport

Hi,

You don't say your flight time. Tour buses are unlikely to have you back at your hotel before 4.30 pm. So I suggest you take the advice in some previous threads:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293924-i8595-k…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293923-i9984-k744…

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Time from Hoan Kiem District to airport

This has been really helpful, I've not used this forum system before so have been surprised by the advice. Trip is due back around 4pm and flight does not leave until 7.15 domestic so it sounds like All could be OK. Thank you all very much.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,918 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time from Hoan Kiem District to airport

HelNbak, sorry, but you could well miss your flight if you return all the way to Hanoi. Your tour might be DUE BACK at 4 pm but odds are the actual arrival time will be later, and possibly much later due to hold-ups on the main road and/or traffic congestion in Hanoi. I didn't get back until 6 pm, and I've heard of other people being stuck in traffic at 7 pm and later.

For a 7.15 domestic flight you must be at the airport by 6.15 pm to check in. At that time of day the journey from central Hanoi will take at least an hour, meaning you must set off at 5.15 at the very latest.

Yes, in theory you might make it but it would be foolhardy to take the risk, which leaves you with two alternatives: (1) change your flight to a later one, or (2) click on the links provided by Rayza above for information on getting to the airport without going all the way back to Hanoi.

Cannes, France
Level Contributor
401 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time from Hoan Kiem District to airport

If returning to Hanoi, You MUST leave more time than you think. It CAN only take 45 min to an hour and it MIGHT take longer. I have done it quite a few times and several times some unforeseen traffic, etc., almost made us miss the plane and we were heading out early. The advice is all good but leave more than expected. Time of day means a lot and the late afternoon traffic can be a problem.

9. Re: Time from Hoan Kiem District to airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:18