We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking:train ticket-Hanoi -Sapa

sel.malaysia
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Booking:train ticket-Hanoi -Sapa

Please advice on contact for train booking and guide booking at Sapa

My email:leeopang@hotmail.com

BMT, Central...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking:train ticket-Hanoi -Sapa

Only on Fridays and Saturdays will you find the trains really crowded along with the hotels.

If possible you should buy your ONE WAY ticket from Ha Noi to Lao Cai (for SaPa) a day or two ahead - either from a Travel Agent at additional cost or, better still, from the Ha Noi Railway Station at 120 La Duane Street.

Buying from the station means you get better roomette selection.

The trains leave in the late evening (for overnight sleeper) from the B Station - which is over a kilometre from the main station - following the roads.

Smart Travellers buy a platform ticket and then cut across the tracks which cuts the walk to about 100 metres.

There is hard and soft sleeper service and some trains even give you a snack box. Ask for the shower option so you arrive fresh.

BMT, Central...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking:train ticket-Hanoi -Sapa

Only on Fridays and Saturdays will you find the trains really crowded along with the hotels.

If possible you should buy your ONE WAY ticket from Ha Noi to Lao Cai (for SaPa) a day or two ahead - either from a Travel Agent at additional cost or, better still, from the Ha Noi Railway Station at 120 La Duane Street.

Buying from the station means you get better roomette selection.

The trains leave in the late evening (for overnight sleeper) from the B Station - which is over a kilometre from the main station - following the roads.

Smart Travellers buy a platform ticket and then cut across the tracks which cuts the walk to about 100 metres.

There is hard and soft sleeper service and some trains even give you a snack box. Ask for the shower option so you arrive fresh.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,828 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking:train ticket-Hanoi -Sapa

shower option???? what shower option?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking:train ticket-Hanoi -Sapa

What are the accomodations on the trains? Is it worth the extra money to book the Victoria Sapa car?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,828 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking:train ticket-Hanoi -Sapa

everyone we spoke to who came in on the Victoria Train absolutely loved it- they likened the experience to the Orient Express- everything was immaculate and there were uniformed staff, a dining carriage and very clean crisp linens on the bunks/beds. (we stayed at the victoria hotel, so we spoke to a lot of people who came up the same night as us)

when we first arrived in our cabin on the Tulico we were not at all happy- the bunks were just ok - there were a few long black strands of hair on the 'clean' cover and there are no pillow slips on the pillows or anything like that- added- the toilets were a real shock although they were actually very clean-even in the morning they were still very clean, they just looked awful. There is one 'usual' toilet and one hole in the floor, situated at each end of the carriage.

I think if I were going again, I would most definitely book the victoria even though it is a huge amount more - it is part of your holiday and part of the Sapa experience -

I would have appreciated knowing the differences before I actually booked then could have made a decision.

hope you have a great time

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,828 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking:train ticket-Hanoi -Sapa

Selling-nothing- I would like to make a comment about your post-

quote:The trains leave in the late evening (for overnight sleeper) from the B Station - which is over a kilometre from the main station - following the roads.

Firstly, we just followed everyone else and cut across the tracks- but most people would probably be fairly disoriented arriving in a station late at night with hundreds and hundres of people and bikes and traffic - so, I don't think most people can be so 'smart'

We were in a deluxe cabin and there was no snack box and most definitely no shower -

I think it is bad advice to say book the train when you are in Hanoi- all the trains were fully booked the nights we left and the night we came back to Hanoi.

BMT, Central...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking:train ticket-Hanoi -Sapa

REPLY MAZ1

There are, on average, at least 22 train sets plying tha Ha Noi / Lao Cai route - more at busy times - only visitors don't realise this as Duong Sat are very smart operators with their relatively new e-booking system and a seemingly endless supply of trainsets.

The more reservations they get - the more trainsets they run.

Your access across the tracks - after negotiating the locked Platform 1 glass doors - is solely at the discretion of the station staff - get a 'rear end' on door duty and you are taking the very long external route.

Buying a platform ticket, or Dong20,000 tip, guarantees you the shortcut.

Whether or not you get a snack box depends on the time of day you travel. If your travel is solely overnight, leaving after 21.00 on arriving before 06.00H, you likely won't get fed. Other trains on the move during a mealtime - you score.

My company had a contract in Ha Giang a few years ago and I have made over 73 trips using this line personally, as well as driiving and cycling this route. I and my colleagues even learned to tell where we were by track noises.

Next time you travel ask the train staff where you can get a shower - they get one, and so do I anytime I overnight on Duong Sat.

You concluded: " I think it is bad advice to say book the train when you are in Hanoi- all the trains were fully booked the nights we left and the night we came back to Hanoi."

My reply is that their new passenger yield software must be working - and unless you count the number of carriages in a trainset, or the number of trainsets they run in any given day, you will never be able to tell. The true test is how many passengers can't get a ride on a given night - not how filled the trains are.

About cleanliness. The trains are regularly gone over with steam hoses that kill any bugs, etc. No bed bugs on these trains. Yes, you will occasionally 'used' bedding - due to lazy / overworked staff - but a simple request of the train attendant will get the problem resolved.

One thing - don't forget to secure your roomette doors using a coat hangar to stop very quiet thieves from getting in whilst you sleep.

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking:train ticket-Hanoi -Sapa

Hi guys,

I am not going to get embroiled in this quite educational discussion!

But , I would like to just make a small comment on Security!

I always carry wire coat hangers--to hang my clothes up!--and for door security!

The other useful tool I never forget is a rubber door wedge!---for 2 reasons!

At anytime whilst I am in any hotel, I slip this under the door!---at night for security ---and secondly---VN staff---happy ,little souls that they are( seriously) have a tendancy to knock once and enter!

On several occassions in my early trips, I have been in the shower, finished, turned water off and nearly died of fright when a towel has been tossed over into the shower cubicle by cleaning staff to help me!---they have knocked , come in to do their job( unheard by me) and happily gone about their job!

I have leapt from cubicle dressed in my "birthday suite",

to apprehend the villian to be faced with 3 giggling girls!

AAHH, what adventure VN travel holds!!

plover

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,828 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking:train ticket-Hanoi -Sapa

hi Selling-Nothing

firstly, what is Duong Sat?

also, do you think we automatically were given a platform ticket to cross the tracks because we booked with an agent from Hanoi? I do not remember a very long walk (although I was 'pretty out of it' after flying in from singapore very late and the excitement of actually being in Hanoi) I don't remember any locked glass doors either. I definitely remember crossing over the tracks both going and coming back but like I said before, we were just following everyone else and had absolutely no idea where we were going.

If they have endless carriages but you are not aware of this fact, surely you are in 'their' hands- if they don't fill up a carriage, does that mean they don't join it on to the end of the train? and if that is the case, how do you get on if they tell you "it's full"

I do know that if one of the other 'named' carriages is full, then another company (for example Tulico or Royal) just uses whichever carriage is available for their customers.

I do acknowledge the cabins on Tulico were fairly clean and the toilet was clean -

where were the showers located? not that I would have bothered-

just as easy to wait until we reached Victoria.

And finally, and most importantly, which of the carriages (in which name) do you suggest is the best? (besides Victoria)

which is your own personal preference?

thanks for the info btw

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,828 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking:train ticket-Hanoi -Sapa

p.s.

and how do you get onto a train if they tell you it's full?

Get answers to your questions about Hanoi