We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halong Bay or Tam Coc?

Sydney
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
Halong Bay or Tam Coc?

I'm planning a trip in early January. First-timers. Prebooking most of our tours. Should we do a 2 day trip to Halong Bay or a 1 day trip to Halong Bay and then a 1 day trip to Tam Coc? I know this will not be 'relaxing' but i want to fit the most in and see the most on my 13 day trip to Vietnam. Being winter, kayaking and swimming are out in halong bay. Is a 2 day trip to halong bay still worthwhile in winter? or is it worth seeing 2 different things rather than spending more time in one?

Hanoi
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Halong Bay or Tam Coc?

I think you should take 2 days for HLB

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
263 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Halong Bay or Tam Coc?

hi pindle,

from my experience, it is more worth the time to do halong bay alone if u only have 2 days for either.

i did both of them back when i was backpacking last year and i think halong bay was really great. i did a 3 days 2 night tour, but i think 2 days 1 night looks good too, and staying 1 night on the boat is somewat unique.

cheers

spear

Sydney
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Halong Bay or Tam Coc?

Thanks for that!

and Plover, I'm interested in your advice!!! (other than DIY instead of prebooking!!!)

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Halong Bay or Tam Coc?

Hi pindle,

All I can advise, if you have limited time---do one place well! I think you need 2 days /1 night to do justice to Halong.

plover

noosa australia
Level Contributor
769 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halong Bay or Tam Coc?

Been to both in oct 06 - enjoyed both but with your limited itinery I agree with plover and others- do a 2 day , 1 night stay in halong bay

( Id still say that kayaking would probably be still OK - not that Ive been to halong bay in jan ) - we didnt get wet at all and no one fell out of canoes, even us beginners )

Sydney
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Halong Bay or Tam Coc?

Thanks for all your advice.

So what is it exactly about waking up on a junk that is so spectactular? Is spending the night on land in halong bay a cop out?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
143 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halong Bay or Tam Coc?

I think it is that you get further out when you spend the night on the junk. If you spend the night in a hotel and just do a day trip, you can only get out so far. We did a 2 day/1 night in Halong Bay about 3 weeks ago and it was really good. You really can't get that far out if you come from Hanoi in the morning (takes 3 1/2 hours) , do a day cruise, and head back to Hanoi all in the same day.

noosa australia
Level Contributor
769 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halong Bay or Tam Coc?

born2go states it correctly- youre not having to chuff off after visiting the caves on day 1 - our boat crew found a clean patch water for us to all go swimming in that afternoon. Getting up next morning was quite special as well, being able to watch as the villagers went about their business. We went with ocean tours on a 2 night- 3 day jaunt.

http://www.oceanbeachresort.net/

the second day/ night was quite special - after kayaking we said goodbye to the one night only guests and then motored over to a private island accross from cat bai island and spent the night in our own thatched huts! magicical - had a beach BBQ - we all wished we had extra days there

9. Re: Halong Bay or Tam Coc?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 04:17