We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Vietnam Itinerary for Christmas/New Year

San Francisco
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best Vietnam Itinerary for Christmas/New Year

I'm thinking about a trip to Vietnam with my girlfriend over the holidays, but I don't have any idea of where to go. I'm thinking maybe we can start out in someplace like Ho Chi MInh city for a few days, have a nice Christmas dinner and do some sightseeing. Then a few days before New Year's Eve head to a beach where it is beautiful and calm, but with some nightlife too. More upscale than backpacker.

14 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Vietnam Itinerary for Christmas/New Year

If you're thinking about HCMC, start doing research here at TA. Browse the 'Things to do'

section.

There are accommodation recommendations here as well, but worth searching on Booking.com and using the extensive search filters to find hotels that suit your preferences.

As many members have pointed out to similar posts, we are not travel agents. The only 'best itinerary' is one that exactly matches personal interests and preferences.

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Vietnam Itinerary for Christmas/New Year

Why??? Like GD365 suggests, see if there's anything in Saigon which interests you the first place.

If there's nothing, I suggest Hanoi in Vietnam, Hue in Vietnam, China, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand or Laos, not in any order.

Edited: 13 November 2017, 09:53
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Vietnam Itinerary for Christmas/New Year

HCMC for Christmas & enjoy New Year in Vung Tau City, it will be great

San Francisco
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Vietnam Itinerary for Christmas/New Year

Thanks for answering my question Tung Linh. What are good things to do in HCMC for Christmas? And why is Vung Tau City great for New Year.

For you other guys, I appreciate your reply. I'm not looking for a travel agent or other destinations. I just wanted personal experiences that might be helpful.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Vietnam Itinerary for Christmas/New Year

bump

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,086 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Vietnam Itinerary for Christmas/New Year

How many days do you have for the trip? And are you mainly after beach time and night life? Or do you need some outdoor activities, etc?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Vietnam Itinerary for Christmas/New Year

“What are good things to do in HCMC for Christmas?“

Hello, OP:

Here are some of the things people do on Christmas Eve in HCM City:

- Traditionally, the locals hang out around the area in front of the Norte Dame Cathedral and the main post office; others would sit in the coffee shops around that area for people watching.

- for those who like music and willing to spend a little money for the occasion, there are usually special Concerts with the Christmas theme that they can attend. It is usually not cheap (starting from $50 USD). Google in something like “phong tra khong ten” that is one of the few music/concert performance hall.

- Nowadays, with the opening of the NGUYEN HUE pedestrian street, quite a few people hang out in that area too.

- Others would look for a rooftop club that is holding special Christmas celebration to mingle.

- Some larger hotels with nice restaurants would be holding special Christmas dinner.

- Otherwise, there is really nothing special leading to Christmas Eve or post-Christmas Eve.

Not sure if these answer your question or you are looking for something else...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Vietnam Itinerary for Christmas/New Year

Nice beach time before New Year Eve?

IMHO, Phu Quoc should have nice beach and good buffet style food if you choose to stay at VinPearl Resort with the all-inclusive package that also give you free entrance to the adjacent water park and amusement park. The newly open Safari is also next door to the resort and they have discount for the resort guess. Forget to mention that they have a nice big pool and the hotel buildings are steps from their private beach. You can’t go wrong with it!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Vietnam Itinerary for Christmas/New Year

We will be in Ho Chi Minh for Christmas, we have booked a foodie tour with XO Tours this is done on motorbikes. Will be very memorable. Hope you find something great to do

Edited: 05 December 2017, 08:41
San Francisco
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Vietnam Itinerary for Christmas/New Year

Thanks for these tips.

@Scotsman79: I'll have around 7 days in Vietnam. I'm mostly looking for beach and nightlife and then will look for other things to do as they are available.

Reply to: Best Vietnam Itinerary for Christmas/New Year
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted