We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scam for prepaid tourist SIM card at airport - stay clear!

Denmark
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
40 helpful votes
Scam for prepaid tourist SIM card at airport - stay clear!
Save

This is a warning for everybody to stay avoid this SIM card scam.

At the airport airside and landside many small stalls will try to sell you prepaid SIM card.

At first sight it seems so easy. No registration, no documentation and no receipt!

They will promis you unlimited 4G data and local phone calls for 10-30 days.

The cards do work for at short time but not for the duration or at the speed promised. It will almost be impossible to make complaints unless you go back to the airport.

My cards dropped in speed 2 hours after i left airport and stopped working after 3 days.

So stay clear and buy your tourist SIM cards at genuine shops downtown. Much better service and they work!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
9,837 posts
22 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: Scam for prepaid tourist SIM card at airport - stay clear!
Save

How much did they cost? I was quite happy with mine.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
5,530 posts
13 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Scam for prepaid tourist SIM card at airport - stay clear!
Save

I'd never buy an "unlimited 4g" sim...

At airport they sell tourist SIM, the local are not cheap for international calls...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293925-i8433-k12168792-SIM_CARD_cost_and_info_December_2018-Ho_Chi_Minh_City.html#96807942

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
422 posts
1 review
12 helpful votes
3. Re: Scam for prepaid tourist SIM card at airport - stay clear!
Save

You may buy a sim card and ask your hotel staffs to register a package for you. i use some package ( about 5 usd for 1 month) and i can use for working and social network. There are some packages for you to choose and not so expensive.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
12,061 posts
254 reviews
440 helpful votes
4. Re: Scam for prepaid tourist SIM card at airport - stay clear!
Save

I call this post BS.

The OP is falsely claiming that all kiosks at the airport are a scam.

It's more likely to be incompetence on the part of the installer at any one of the stalls.

There are tourist Sims that offer deals to tourists that aren't available to locals.

I have already posted about this in another thread.

Denmark
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
40 helpful votes
5. Re: Scam for prepaid tourist SIM card at airport - stay clear!
Save

First of all. Sorry I don’t mean ALL because i haven’t tried every single vendor at the airport!

But I have experienced same issue on 3 occasions with 3 different shops so I think i am entitled to draw my conclusions based on that experience as it has been the same all 3 times.

Card works in the beginning! I al ready stated that.

Problem is that your card will not work for the promised period of 10-30 days and the unlimited data speed with 4G will be slow or not working at all. At all my 3 experiences the card ceased to work after 4-6 days with no data available. Prices are from 175.000 VND and up depending on the vendor and phone company.

The scam is that they sell you a prepaid top up simcard as a unlimited simcard and they overcharge for this.

If you only stay short time or doesn’t use a lot of data you will never know if you get scammed because your use will stay within the limit.

Problem ONLY occurs if you are a heavy data user that take the ‘unlimited’ in unlimited and the ‘10-30’ days as actual days for granted.

If you buy similar product at a genuine mobile phone companys downtown there is no simcard problem and you get exactly what you pay for. Everything works seamlessly.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
5,530 posts
13 reviews
11 helpful votes
6. Re: Scam for prepaid tourist SIM card at airport - stay clear!
Save

the 300.000/400.000 tourist sim do not need registration, are sold ONLY at airports and can call abroad.

anything less expensive is NOT a tourist sim.

the locals 4gb per day are 200.000, and there is NOT such things as unlimited data, although 4GB per day is 30 times what we get in Italy at three time the cost....not a bad deal :-)

1 post
7. Re: Scam for prepaid tourist SIM card at airport - stay clear!
Save

I got scammed as well. Worked the first day and then the next day it stopped working. Went to a real Viettel store and they told me I got tricked.

Disputed with cc as soon I came back and got refunded the money the next day.

https://imgur.com/a/1aj5kQR

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
8. Re: Scam for prepaid tourist SIM card at airport - stay clear!
Save

I estimate I have bought 12-15 sim cards at the airport, never had a real problem. One time I thought I was getting a Viettel but ended up with Vinaphone, but it worked ok.

Henry T, did you buy a Vinaphone sim and then go to a Viettel store ?

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
535 posts
72 reviews
85 helpful votes
9. Re: Scam for prepaid tourist SIM card at airport - stay clear!
Save

Which SIM card would you recommend for 15 days local calling for taxi drivers and 3-4 GB of data per day. And from where shall I buy?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
12,061 posts
254 reviews
440 helpful votes
10. Re: Scam for prepaid tourist SIM card at airport - stay clear!
Save

Viettel have the largest coverage because it's owned by the military and they have more towers than the other providers.

But personally I find that Mobifone have better data packages.

If you're only going to be following the tourist trail then either will do.

Because I have a dual sim phone I have my 10 year old number with Viettel and my 2nd sim is with Mobifone with a data plan that costs only 150,000dong per month and gives my 2GB per day. I have never come close to using my 2GBs.

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.