We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to leave hotel 2 1/2 hrs before flight?

Singapore
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it safe to leave hotel 2 1/2 hrs before flight?

We will be taking a 8.10pm departure flight out of HCM during our coming mid-July trip. It will be on a Monday & we are departing fm Tan Hoang Ngoc hotel in D1. Can anyone advise if it is safe for us to leave the hotel 2 1/2 hours before the flight? Read somewhere in an earlier thread about traffic jams during the evening. Wondering if the situation has eased.

Vietnam
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to leave hotel 2 1/2 hrs before flight?

I was amazed two week ago while flew from HCMC back to Hanoi. We arrive at the airport 50 mins in advance and I went check in. It was really busy and as I received the boarding card and went to the waiting room, it was only the time to went into the plane. With international flight, I suggest that you go early to be safe. As traffic is really bad in HCMC especially if it rains (often during your travel time), the traffic jam is quite bad on the only road to the airport.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to leave hotel 2 1/2 hrs before flight?

That would be too tight a timeframe for my liking...it can take well over an hour and a half to get to the airport from the city at rush hour (after 5pm)..and if it rains its worse...traffic will only get worse in HCMC and Hanoi as more cars and bikes come onto the roads

Sydney
Level Contributor
110 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to leave hotel 2 1/2 hrs before flight?

We stayed at the Duxton last month and left our hotel 2.5 hours before our flight and got to the airport within half an hour (we left the hotel at 4.30pm). It was a thursday evening and the airport was very quiet so once we checked in and cleared immigration we had plenty of time to relax before boarding our flight to Hong Kong.

South Australia
Level Contributor
743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to leave hotel 2 1/2 hrs before flight?

Last Saturday staying at Renaissance (D1, near the Duxton) we left at 8.30am for an 11.30 International flight. Traffic was busy and took us 30 minutes to get there. There were huge crowds outside and we groaned, thinking we would be in line forever, but it turned out that these were mainly friends/family not travelling - once we got inside it was deserted; checkin took maybe 10 minutes and we were in. We were lucky we could go into Cathay Pacific Club room so we could sit and relax in comfort for the 2 hours.

I would always allow plenty of time though - even a small traffic holdup could make you miss your flight.

Singapore
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to leave hotel 2 1/2 hrs before flight?

Thank U for all the responses. Looks like I'll have to leave my hotel 3 - 3 1/2 hrs b4 flight to be safe. Was thinking that since July is an off-peak period, maybe the traffic will not be so bad. guess i'm wrong.

los angeles
Level Contributor
532 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to leave hotel 2 1/2 hrs before flight?

our flight is on a Thursday morning at 10 a.m. in July. What time do you suggest leaving for airport? thanks.

7. Re: Is it safe to leave hotel 2 1/2 hrs before flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 06:23