We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thing to buy as present when we leave Vietnam from Hochiminh

Pusan
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thing to buy as present when we leave Vietnam from Hochiminh

hi all forums,

We are leaving Vietname in Ho chi Minh city and wana buy some present for my family and my friends so please give us your hands to buy the meaningful thing made in VN.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
99 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thing to buy as present when we leave Vietnam from Hochiminh

I was in HCMC December and wish I had more room in my bag for presents.

I will however be back there in June and have started a list of things I am going to buy, this includes one of those great crocodile wallets, lots more coffee (the best on the planet), and loads of DVDs. Would love to buy some of that snake wine, but don't think I could get it through customs.

All the best with your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Vieques
Level Contributor
3,667 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thing to buy as present when we leave Vietnam from Hochiminh

There is a government sponsored lacquer ware workshop in HCMC that employs severely handicapped victims of agent orange You can get a tour of the factory and see the work in progress. They produce beautiful plaques, plates, coasters,wall art, vases etc. and we thought it was a great group to support. Go there and buy gifts. I don't have the address but all the guides and probably folks on this forum can point you in the right direction.

Mentioned in this post
Batemans Bay...
Level Contributor
152 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thing to buy as present when we leave Vietnam from Hochiminh

The name of the lacquer ware place is Cong Ty (27-7 HCM) Handicapped Handicrafts. We were there a couple of weeks ago and their workshop is huge and the work is fabulous. I wish I had brought more while I wa there.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thing to buy as present when we leave Vietnam from Hochiminh

I second buying lacquer ware it's beautiful and many choices. Also silk, I bought silk ties for the men in my family but they have many many other silk items for sale all over. I bought marble chess sets and various other marble items. There are just so many wonderful buys that when you get there you'll see and be able to chose. Go to one of the markets and you'll be overwhelmed by the choices.

Edited: 10 May 2010, 00:13
Canada
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thing to buy as present when we leave Vietnam from Hochiminh

I don't want any lacquer ware.

I could, however, use a new set of golf clubs.

thanks.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thing to buy as present when we leave Vietnam from Hochiminh

Ya right chiefie good luck on the golf clubs why not try the marble ones.

Vietnam
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thing to buy as present when we leave Vietnam from Hochiminh

I suggest this nice statue that's VERY representative of Vietnam. And it cost only US$1:

Vietnam720.com/Virtual-Objects/Souvenir-from…

Other notable mentions are coffee, conical hats (maybe the small ones), Ao Dai (the long dress) and dragon fruit.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thing to buy as present when we leave Vietnam from Hochiminh

Some excellent suggestions above...

Colliegirl - Marble golf clubs? O.K., I'll try anything!

Europe
Level Contributor
870 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thing to buy as present when we leave Vietnam from Hochiminh

Lots of stuff is way cheaper in Vietnam, Beware of pirated DVD's. They are from China and some are produced in Vietnam. Mostly, they quality is poor.

I am not even mentioning the fact that they are illegal. In the good old days, you had to turn over any media to a government agency before leaving the country, so they could check that you did not smuggle anti-government stuff.

That practice has been abandoned. Croc and snake skin products can be purchased in shops run by the government. The merchandise is accompanied by a certificate that should prevent you from any hazzle when returning home.

Mentioned in this post
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
21,692 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thing to buy as present when we leave Vietnam from Hochiminh

There are also some beautiful embroideries. We bought, not only embroidered tablecloths, but also t-shirts and pictures. Some of the embroidered pictures are absolutely exquisite and are all hand made.

Travelkat