We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would be the best kind of accommodation for me?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What would be the best kind of accommodation for me?

Hi guys.

I'll be travelling to Vietnam for an internship and I will be working in the Citilight Towers on Vo Thi Sau street D1. It'll be for about 3 months starting in early November.

I am given $500 as an accommodation allowance. I've been looking for a short term share room somewhere but that's difficult without actually being in HCMC. Would my best option be a room at a mini hotel?

Do you guys have recommendations for such a hotel that would close to where i'd be working?

I am not too picky about the hotel but it should be clean or have a desk.

Also, I could stay near Dinh Tien Hoang Street in the Binh Thanh district because that would close-ish to my relatives.

Thanks in advanced.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Level Contributor
870 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What would be the best kind of accommodation for me?

Your best bet, I think, is the minihotel for the first few weeks until you get your bearings and then you might get a chance for a short term lease of a room somewhere, but three months is a very short time.

I personally get fed up with minihotels after about two weeks, the space is simply too small for me, or perhaps it is the living out of a suitcase that bothers me :-)

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What would be the best kind of accommodation for me?

As Bruger says, check into a minihotel for a week or so until you get your bearings. For that budget you won't get an apartment but there are plenty of little studio-type places in the Le Thanh Ton "ghetto" area, which is only 10 mins from Citilight by taxi/bike.

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,579 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What would be the best kind of accommodation for me?

As privat says book into a small hotel for a week or so and you will easily find something for $500.Theres a local English newspaper called vietnam news that has loads of apartments/houses for rent.

try http://vietnamnews.nvanet.vn

Europe
Level Contributor
870 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What would be the best kind of accommodation for me?

Viet1: is that http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/?

Your link does no produce anything.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What would be the best kind of accommodation for me?

Hi,

check out www.expatvietnam.net and www.livinginvietnam.com and post your request. Hope it´s helpful.

Joachim

www.vietnamandmore.com

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,579 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What would be the best kind of accommodation for me?

Hi privat,I see it does not work.I copied it straight from the newspaper advert.Oh well,what can you do:-)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What would be the best kind of accommodation for me?

There seems to be no mid-market offering. Either you have to pay through the nose to stay in serviced apts or somewhere like a mini hotel.

I have been looking into short term rentals like 1-3 months but no results. I am here as a tourist so don't have a corporate expense account. Even if I can afford the serviced apts, I don't like it. I don't need people to do clean my room all the time. I like to do that myself. It's part of "living" at a place as opposed to "visiting." In an ideal world, I wish there are nicely furnished options like serviced apts without the "service."

You can check out www.vrbo.com. There are only three listings and don't look very interesting or meet your needs.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,594 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What would be the best kind of accommodation for me?

I agree that you should first get your bearings by staying at a decent small hotel - like Bich Duyen, because Chanh (the man who knows it all) would be able to direct you to the right place for your extended stay. You might also contact mikeinvietnam over on the Virtualtourist Vietnam forum - a wealth of info about Saigon, and a real nice guy (he's helped many of us in the past).

Mentioned in this post
Bich Duyen Hotel
Bich Duyen Hotel
1,239 Reviews
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Saigon Hotel
Saigon Hotel
213 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,831 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What would be the best kind of accommodation for me?

i've looked at VRBO many times in past, but, they only list beautiful executive luxury homes on the river (at a huge price)

Daawg..I thought Channh was leaving Bich Duyen?

Mentioned in this post
Bich Duyen Hotel
Bich Duyen Hotel
1,239 Reviews
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,761 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What would be the best kind of accommodation for me?

There are many places that can do $10 (or less) rooms for extended stays.

The main problem you have is what you might save in room costs might easily by paid out in breakfast costs (if not included - you might get fed up with their same same breakfast each day anyway) or travelling costs to get where you need to be each day.. As usual it'll be a balancing act. Book into a cheap hotel initially and find somewhere close to where you need to be. Won't be hard to find once you're here.