We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am Canadian and my Girlfriend is a Vietnamese Canadian

Burnaby B.C.
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
I am Canadian and my Girlfriend is a Vietnamese Canadian

Anybody out there in a similar situation? My girfriend, who I've been with for over four years is a Vietnamese born Canadian citizen who has been in Canada for over 25 years. Me, I am a Canadian of English origin.

The question is this: Will we have trouble checking into hotels because we're not married? I'm hoping the situation will ease somewhat because we will both be carrying Canadian passports.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,461 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am Canadian and my Girlfriend is a Vietnamese Canadian

She has a Canadian passport............ no problems.

hanoi
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I am Canadian and my Girlfriend is a Vietnamese Canadian

yes right, if she is bearing canadian passport, anyway still have to take precausion 4 to 5 stars hotels, my Oz friend also have same problem so when you book the hotel room you better ask them, or if you book through travel agent, the agent have to in charge to do that away from your embarrassing

Saigon
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I am Canadian and my Girlfriend is a Vietnamese Canadian

Yeah, Both holding foreign passport s should be very Okay.

cheers

Australia
Level Contributor
811 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I am Canadian and my Girlfriend is a Vietnamese Canadian

Same situation as you except both with Australian passports - never had a problem in either the North or South.

Although whenever we stayed at her relatives they always told the local police we were staying.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I am Canadian and my Girlfriend is a Vietnamese Canadian

Same Same but Different.......

Do not worry about it in the least!! I am also a Canadian linked to a Viet, but also have a connection to the hotel business. I can tell you that there will be absolutely no problems.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I am Canadian and my Girlfriend is a Vietnamese Canadian

Depends on the hotel - most won't have an issue even with Viet locals, normally the 5star hotels are the ones with the issues.

7. Re: I am Canadian and my Girlfriend is a Vietnamese Canadian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2011, 05:19