We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Dollars or the Dong

East Anglia
Level Contributor
342 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
US Dollars or the Dong

I am going to HCMC for 4 night and 10 nights in Phan Thiet, is better to take the US Dollar or the Dong, if I take the Dong will I have to carry with me vast amount if notes,I Know it sounds like a silly question it's just I saw on top gear they had to carry there money in large shoe boxes

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Dollars or the Dong

You can take dollars and change them as you need to. We were always quoted prices in Dong and therefore paid in Dong. You can also pay in dollars but they will round the amount up so we found it was more to our benefit to pay in dong.

Saigon
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Dollars or the Dong

Dollars then change for some VND to spend in Phan Thiet. (10days) ATM is everywhere to withdraw VND

Cheers

East Anglia
Level Contributor
342 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Dollars or the Dong

Hi guys thanks for your quick response, I'm from the uk so dollars may be a pain for me ( changing from the pound to the dollar to the dong) so do you both think it's better taking the dong, if I took say 2000 usd in dong would that be alot of notes to carry around?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,567 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Dollars or the Dong

The other posters seem not to have noticed that you are from the UK. It's hard to impossible to get VND outside of Viet Nam. Just take GBP and exchange them in Viet Nam, or better still, if you have an ATM card which offers low fees use that to get VND out of the many ATMs all over the place. Don't take a double hit on exchange getting USD which will be converted (either in a hidden way by the vendor who offers to take USD at a rate favourable to him, or at an actual place of exchange) to VND.

While the Top Gear guys did have a shoebox full of money a lot of the program is not actually representational of real life.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Dollars or the Dong

Don't you have an ATM card? It's much easier to just withdraw cash when you need it rather than carry large sums of money around.

If you need to bring cash then you would be losing money twice if you changed from Pounds to US$ to Dong. If you try to buy Dong in the UK you will get a very poor rate and lose even more money.

Bring some cash (in Pounds) and also bring at least one card to withdraw money from the ATM. You will need to notify your bank of your travel plans.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Dollars or the Dong

Hi Kam,

Are you crazy? 2000 U.S. dollars = 41.6666667 million Vietnamese dong at todays rate: follow the advice of #1, 2 & 3 and just take-out a small amount per day, or for a short number of days.

What the heck are you thinking of? You don't need to change from GBP to USD to VND... just use your banking card: you'll lose twice with exchange otherwise.

Cheers ツ

www.maudcameron.com

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Dollars or the Dong

Sorry... add #4 & 5 to the list - our posts crossed in the ether.

Cheers ツ

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Dollars or the Dong

By all means, use the ATM. But only after double checking with your bank what the costs of doing so will be.

Otherwise use GBP and exhange as you go. Don't walk around with several hundred GBP's worth of VND, the weight will slow you down :-)

East Anglia
Level Contributor
342 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US Dollars or the Dong

Thanks everyone for your help, I feel stupid now that I actually laughed out loud in the office when reding your responses, thanks guys I'll use the ATM machines, does anyone know if there are many ATM machines in Phan Thiet?

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,539 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US Dollars or the Dong

Hi Kam- Lall. There ATM's all over VN and plenty in Phan Thiet.

Cheers Ross