We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HCM visit

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Topic
HCM visit

We have a plan to visit HCM city in July 2011 for 5 days. (1) Can someone who have already been there recently recommend the places must visit including shopping complexes? (2) Recommend hotels which has easy reach to market and shopping places.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HCM visit

HCMC isn't really great for shopping and there are no large complexes of the kind found in BKK, Singapore or KL. Hotels - depends on your budget.

Must visit - do a city tour (walking tour of district 1, then transfer over to Cholon-Chinatown), spend a night in the Mekong Delta, and maybe head out to Tay Ninh & Cu Chi if time permits.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HCM visit

Theres plenty of shopping at Saigon Square and the markets, but yes, there are no multi storey shopping complexes.

However if you are looking for genuine brand names at great prices, you are in the right place.

I bought top of the line genuine Nike for AUD102, and the ones I was wearing cost me $220 at Athletes Foot.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HCM visit

Hang on....... What about the Vincom centre

Daimond Plaza

If up market & brand name labels are more you’re liking, then Dong Khoi Street in district one won’t disappoint with stores like Yves Saint Laurent, Louis Vuitton, and Gucci.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,682 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HCM visit

Fair number of multi-storey shopping centres, some like the Vincom Center flickr.com/photos/bertie_is_here/5241468432/ even go underground - 3 floors below ground level. It's actual footprint inside is larger than the building outside. But expect to pay!

As mentioned, Diamond Plaza, Parkson. Parkson also have multi storey stores in Dists 5, 7, 11 and 12. Anywhere around Dong Khoi and Nguyen Hue Bld (Rex Hotel) will be more upmarket.

Markets - An Dong (Dist 5), Saigon Sq 1&2 (Dist 1) and the infamous Ben Thanh market (Dist 1)

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
790 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HCM visit

Hi Raymond

I am currently in HCMC and staying in Blue Diamond Hotel which are within walking distance to tourist attractions, Ben Thanh Market, Dong Koi and Le Loi streets where the shopping are.

Other hotels in this area that you can consider are Lan Lan, Kingston, Kelly, A & EM.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
193 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HCM visit

hi lwk-my

How did you get to blue diamond hotel from airport and how much? I am going to stay there too in next few weeks. Also, if you found any good tour agent for Cu Chi and Mekong Delta, please share out ok?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: HCM visit

Thanks for the feedback.

Level Contributor
4,023 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HCM visit

Do you guys not think that the Ben Thanh Market is a muti-shopping complex ? I think is really complex and has muiti shops.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HCM visit

Jaxfl1, you're killing me :-)

10. Re: HCM visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2011, 16:14
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question