We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What were these idiots thinking? Scams:Taxi & in HCM Market

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What were these idiots thinking? Scams:Taxi & in HCM Market

Well you can be warned about scams when travelling abroad no matter where on this planet.

Myself have experienced a Taxi scam in Nha Trang, I were careful about the surroundings on the rest of our trip, and not losing our wits But the recently scams happened last Saturday in HCM, in my book took the cherries.

Sam no# 1 - BenThanh market Scam.

We went to pick up a suit from a tailor on Le Thanh Ton st and deceided to check out Ben Thanh market for may be a tie?

I was slighlty walking separated and ahead of my husband as he said he would watch out for baddies that could harm me - hahaha

My oh My - people were everywhere blocking off the walk lanes, counting, chatting, eating or squatting around. As I was trying to squeeze in these tiny lanes and tried not to walked on or over them. I was not aware ... my husband was grabbed by the shop stalls owners and all suddened he felt fingers on his welding band tried to move it about and slip the ring off his hand - Far out.

He quickly shaked his hand away, turnaround and made the tsktsk noise to whoever he thought was responsible.... but impossible to know, they all looked at him with smilling faces!

" Mr - you buy clothes from me"

He quickly caught up with me - " get out of here now" he whispered and once we were outside he told me about the "fonding incident = removing the welding band off his hand"

Scam no# 2 - Mailinh taxi

Lucky us so I thought of the moment we saw a parked MailLinh Taxi just outside the market gate. Quick - Jump in.

Everything looked OK. He turned on the meter and off we went to our hotel in Cao Thang st - District 3 which normally would cost about 40-50k vnd

So what happened next got me totaly gobsmaked.

Still talking about the Benthanh market incident as we had seen that the meter started normally with 10,000 vnd and nothing was out of ordinary, so we carried on our topic until we reached our hotel. With the sun glaring over the meter we thought Whoa ! Cool ! only 25k so peeled out 30k and gave to driver.

This idiot shook his head, pointed to the meter and mouthed off Meter 250k !!!! yes the meter now indeed read 250k.

My husband said - Look mate you are joking yeah? this is a ripped off - it is impossible that we have travelled this istance . Listen we were on your taxi for 5 mins top. He shooked his head and said "Meter - 250 thousand vnd" The guy was puting on this really agressive/angry tone and menace look but my husband pushed me off the car and quickly peeled off another 30k , threw them on the seat.

At the same time he told the driver "Mate you got the wrong guy - I tell the hotel secuirty to get your taxi number and report you to the police - You are a cheat and a fake = Be happy that I pay this amount".

As the hotel security approaching the car - This idiot was mumbling something probaly swearing words and drove off. Lets us rather shaking and disbelieved.

I tired to recall this idiot ID number but for some reason I just couldn't as I was glad that we were not hurt or get in some stupid quarrels.

However hard these idiots are trying, they will not deter us from making our travels plan for next year - but not to HCM city . We have withnessed and withstood these scams first hand - water off the duck back.

Watchout for the scammers they are becoming very creative. Anything lenghts to remove cash, belongings from you - illegally.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What were these idiots thinking? Scams:Taxi & in HCM Market

FWIW, I don't get this obsession with using taxis. I use them to go to and from the airports or if the rain is coming down in buckets. The rest of the time I walk.

Still, getting scammed is never nice. Staying away from the tourist area is the first line of defense.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What were these idiots thinking? Scams:Taxi & in HCM Market

There are loads of fake taxis outside Ben Thanh. The more tourists who stand up to them & get aggressive like your husband did, the quicker they'll learn.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,290 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What were these idiots thinking? Scams:Taxi & in HCM Market

Be even better if the authorities did something about them. It's not as though they hide. I've even thought about doing a rogues gallery on them all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What were these idiots thinking? Scams:Taxi & in HCM Market

It is good your husband did stand up to them. I think many tourists just give in to the scams as part of holiday experience.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What were these idiots thinking? Scams:Taxi & in HCM Market

Thanks for the heads up especially about the wedding ring, that's the first time I've heard that.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What were these idiots thinking? Scams:Taxi & in HCM Market

Another nice trick (happened to me once) is for 3-4 of them on bicycles to surround you and in the confusion empty your pockets. That time they only got my tobacco pouch, so it was no big deal. But things happen so fast that any warning you might have read on TA is going to be of little help.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What were these idiots thinking? Scams:Taxi & in HCM Market

Hmmmm I agree that the Taxi drivers are one of the worst things about this place. IF you end up in a fixed cab, having your hotel reception deal with them is usually the best policy (as long as it is a decent hotel).

The ring business happens all the time. It is not at all uncommon for a woman to jokingly tug at your wedding ring to get your attention to be a (wink wink) wife.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
314 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What were these idiots thinking? Scams:Taxi & in HCM Market

We had no problems with Vinasun taxis - we only used a Mailinh taxi when the Vinasun taxi driver didn't understand us on one occassion and the Mailinh taxi driver came to help. We ended up going with the guy who knew where to go - which unfortunately Mailinh taxi.

He tried to charge to charge 285k for a 30k journey - when we refused to pay he locked the doors with us and 2 kids in the taxi. We paid 85k as all of a sudden he said no no not 285k... 85k.

We knew this was a rip off but just wanted to get out of the taxi in one piece!!

So sad that these rogue taxi drivers scam you - as every other taxi trip we took (both in Nha Trang and Ho Chi Minh) we always tipped the driver anyway!!!

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What were these idiots thinking? Scams:Taxi & in HCM Market

I tried something this year at the Sai Gon airport, I immediately took out my phone and snapped a picture of the taxi and the driver, i made a show of it and even read out his id# once inside the taxi. Amazing...no scam evven tried. He knew I was ahead of the game.

Drifter

www.vnfrom.blogspot.com

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What were these idiots thinking? Scams:Taxi & in HCM Market

drifter1dc, I usually go with my wife. &deity have mercy on the poor driver who tries to scam her!