We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to vietnam VS malaysia thailand

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
281 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
first time to vietnam VS malaysia thailand

Hi all i was just planning my holiday in feb 2012 i spotted Air Asia has cheap flights to Ho Chi Minh City from Perth, everybody raves about Vietnam just wanted to what comparisons are to Malaysia and Thailand as i was in Penang and Langkawi in March this year i really liked it .

Im a solo traveller main things im after are good nightlife, food, a good beach if there are any close by, also are are there many touts that hassle tourists. Is crime a problem? thanks in advance joe

Winchester...
Level Contributor
28 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to vietnam VS malaysia thailand

I would go to Thailand and you can have it all buddy;( Bangkok, Phuket and Chaigmai:)

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,706 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to vietnam VS malaysia thailand

If you really are only interested in nightlife, beaches and food then Thailand definitely would be the better choice as there is only one place in Vietnam - Nha Trang - that meets all your criteria.

However Vietnam as a whole has a heck of a lot to offer in terms of its unique culture, diverse landscapes and highly contrasting places of interest.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time to vietnam VS malaysia thailand

Agree with CB. If you are willing to spend a little time and energy to experience Vietnam, go for it. If you just want a carefree time in a mature (tourism wise mature), go to Thailand.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time to vietnam VS malaysia thailand

I agree with others that for nightlife and beaches then it is Thailand. I travelled Solo recently to SE Asia and only saw the hightlights but somehow it is Hanoi and Ha long Bay which has been more magical for me so it all depends on different individuals.

You can read my blogs with pictures/tips

Diva

travelpod.com/travel-blog/smittee/1/tpod.html

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,434 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time to vietnam VS malaysia thailand

Come to Vietnam for the culture, the wonderful people, the food and the life-changing experiences, but go elsewhere for the parties and beaches - just my 2 cents!

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time to vietnam VS malaysia thailand

"Im a solo traveller main things im after are good nightlife, food, a good beach if there are any close by, also are are there many touts that hassle tourists. Is crime a problem?"

You have just described all the criteria of what attracts petty theft in Asia....

Hang on to your wallet ;)

Owee

www.owee58.com

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
281 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time to vietnam VS malaysia thailand

Thanks for the replys i will have 14 days so will probaly be going to both Vietnam and maybe Thailand the only way to really find out what a place is like is to actually go.

the people and culture are really the most important part of any destination

8. Re: first time to vietnam VS malaysia thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 02:18