We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best place to eat in Ho Chi Minh City;)

Winchester...
Level Contributor
28 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
The best place to eat in Ho Chi Minh City;)

Hello travelers,

Please advice me where is the best place to eat in Ho Chi Minh City with reasonable price that close to Ben Thanh market? or any place in Ho Chi Minh City? What should I must order for the Vietnamese cuisine? I know we eat a lot of PHO in california:)

Please advice,

Eddy

Mentioned in this post
Ben Thanh Market
Ben Thanh Market
9,943 Reviews
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Poke Saigon
£, American, Healthy, Hawaiian
Noir.
££ - £££, European, Asian, Vietnamese
Home Finest Saigon Restaurant
££ - £££, Vietnamese, Asian
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best place to eat in Ho Chi Minh City;)

Not a lot of good Vietnamese food in the centre of HCMC, you need to get out into the suburbs. Ignore anyone who recommends Quan An Ngon, it's shockingly overrated & strictly for tourists. Barbecue Garden is a fun place near the market if you don't want to head out of town, but otherwise try heading up Le Van Sy where Phu Nhuan meets Tan Binh district - loads of good open air places there.

For good seafood, try Hong Hai on Pasteur St.

Mentioned in this post
Quan An Ngon
Quan An Ngon
1,190 Reviews
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best place to eat in Ho Chi Minh City;)

I am partial to the Chinese restaurant across the street from the New World Hotel.

Other than that, the OP's post is impossible to answer.

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best place to eat in Ho Chi Minh City;)

Gee Chinese in Vietnam - do you eat Vietnamese in China!!!

Mentioned in this post
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best place to eat in Ho Chi Minh City;)

Why wouldn't you eat Chinese in Vietnam? There's a considerable Chinese influence here. And why shouldn't you eat whatever the hell you like when you're on holiday? HCMC has some great French, Chinese, Japanese, Thai and Italian restaurants. Or are we not allowed to eat there? Do you only eat American food in the US?

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best place to eat in Ho Chi Minh City;)

Their vit diem happens to be something I can only get in Vietnam, never in Denmark. Vietnamese food I can get all the time. My wife is a great cook.

Sorry to have offended you, kesa-WA.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best place to eat in Ho Chi Minh City;)

Try the buffet currently on offer at the Van Canh restaurant opposite Ben Thanh market, right of the bus station on the corner. From my previous visit I can tell you it gets packed out and you'll probably be the only foreigner(s) in a sea of about 300 (maybe more) Vietnamese sat down for dinner.

As already mentioned, what someone calls good, another will call poor. The problem being to get a real taste of Vietnamese cooking (define what is authentic and the best) you don't go to places that cater for lots of foreigners. Best I've eaten was up a side street with lots of metal tables and plastic chairs to sit on. Authentic Vietnamese cooking without a doubt. I'd tend to agree with C&G comment re: Quan An Ngon. Yes, nice setting, food I'll say no more on.

Mentioned in this post
Ben Thanh Market
Ben Thanh Market
9,943 Reviews
Quan An Ngon
Quan An Ngon
1,190 Reviews
Sydney
Level Contributor
114 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best place to eat in Ho Chi Minh City;)

I love Quan An Ngon! I've eaten there many times and while it is popular with foreigners it is equally as popular with the locals in my observation.

I would hate this thread to put others off giving it a go - such a gorgeous setting with lovely food.

Mentioned in this post
Quan An Ngon
Quan An Ngon
1,190 Reviews
Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
485 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best place to eat in Ho Chi Minh City;)

Can not go past Huong Vy at 177 Pham Ngu Lao. A favored hang out for ex-pats. Steak dinners for under 80,000 dong.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best place to eat in Ho Chi Minh City;)

We ate at Lemongrass near the Opera and had a wonderful meal.

Mentioned in this post
Lemongrass
Lemongrass
1,099 Reviews
Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The best place to eat in Ho Chi Minh City;)

Dont get your knickers in a knot C&G it aint worth it. For myself and family when in the country you are in eat what they do. You would be in trouble coming to my town cos you would have to eat just what we have and NIX else. But surely you would not do what I have seen a million times a crowd of foreigners eating everything but Vietnamese. Me I go there for the food and their experience of their culture and their food. Sorry to dissapoint - maybe I am a strange foreigner!!! I like to go to the country of my choice and see them and their food!!!