We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chi Chi tunnels

Dorset UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chi Chi tunnels

Hi arriving in Ho Chi Minh mid day on 23 November from SR and was proposing that on the following day that we would go to the Chi Chi tunnels (leave for HK on 25 Nov). Have found out about the numerous options to get to the tunnels for half a day trip but less information on what we will be doing for one and half hours there following the film?.

I raise this because my partner has already told me that she cannot go down the tunnels - so my question is what proportion of the tour is below ground and is it worth my partner and I still going bearing in mind I would not like to leave her on her own for too long

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chi Chi tunnels

Do not worry. The under ground portion is not too long and there are some things to see on the surface... She will be fine. If it is still the old film they show, go in with tounge frirmly planted in cheek and enjoy.

Owee

www.owee58.com

new zealand
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chi Chi tunnels

Hi Just back from doing tour of tunnels and the under ground part took just a 2-5 minutes. There are different escape holes you can come up. Think the first section was only about 30metres with an escape hole part way along. There is then another you can go down that is longer but took no more than 5-10 min. We went with Khoi from Water Bufffalo tours who took us to the War museum first then the tunnels after lunch because he said it would have cooled down after the rain. A very sobering place but glad we went.

Sheffield U.K
Level Contributor
993 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chi Chi tunnels

i think its worth mentioning you dont have to go in the tunnels there not authentic anyhow there made for the generally bigger weston tourist i think i am right in saying that the entrance to the original tunnels is only about 18inch square or thinking about it they may be even only 12inch square

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,726 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chi Chi tunnels

Oh, Pernod, when claustrophobia is combined with a sketchy historical understanding of what the tunnels at Cu Chi were all about, and if you have no desire to part with a not insignificant amount of money to fire bullets from an AK47, then perhaps you might seek other destinations for the day.

Fluffy wuffy versus get-wrenching. The choice is yours.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,385 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chi Chi tunnels

There is of course the other tunnel complex at Cu Chi where no firing takes place. The Ben Duoc War Memorial flickr.com/photos/bertie_is_here/2195942078/ Same tunnel experience as the main complex; better in my mind as there is the temple, pagoda and gardens to walk around. Very quiet too as not many of the tour operators go there due to the extra mileage involved (If i remember right it's about 7km further on).

The video (black, white and very grainy) can be shown either first or last. Half day morning tours tend to leave Saigon at 8am, arriving back around 2pm. Out of the two complexes, if you're not into firing of guns, the Ben Duoc site would get my vote.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chi Chi tunnels

Cu Chi is probably the most overrated tourism experience in Vietnam. In my opinion the War Remnants Museum in HCMC gives you a better insight into the war, and if you really want the full tunnel experience, head to Vinh Moc in the DMZ (near Hue).

Saigon
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chi Chi tunnels

Many things to see on the surface like, B52 bomb craters, secret entrances, booby trap, Viet cong propaganda movie, ventilation holes, US destroyed m41 tank, shooting range, fighting bunkers, kitchen rooms..etc...........

No problem if you can't enter the tunnels and it is worth seeing as a part of Vietnam war history.

Mosquito repellent is a need in this jungle

Cheers

New York, NY
Level Contributor
78 posts
578 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chi Chi tunnels

I think it is definitely worth a visit if you are at all interested in the history of the war. I found the visit fascinating. Great to squeeze off a few rounds on the M60 too.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chi Chi tunnels

My teenagers sons are INSISTENT that we have to go to the Cu Chi tunnels (to the point of flying from Hanoi to HCMC to go there and the War Remnants museum).

How expensive is it to fire the different weapons? (because they so want to do this, but I don't want to go broke!)

Is there any particular tour that does a nice job for people that are really interested? i.e., not so "fluffy wuffy"? ;)

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,726 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chi Chi tunnels

Ooh DrDebi, I really don't think that you'll find a visit to the Cu Chi tunnels or the War Remnants in any way fluffy wuffy. Quite the contrary, and the museum in particular can be gut-wrenching.

However it has to be said that some of your fellow citizens have felt threatened by what they perceive as anti-American propaganda. Just treat it as a unique opportunity to see things from others' perspective.

I haven't a clue how much firing the guns costs, nor would I ever care to find out.