We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lacquerware questions

Brisbane
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lacquerware questions

Hi All, Only five weeks to go till our trip. HCMC is our first stop, then travelling up Mekong on boat to SR. I believe lacquerware is something good to buy in Vietnam. I have two questions: 1) Should we purchase lacquerware in HCMC or can you still purchase it further on our trip - saves us having to carry it if there is. 2) A friend bought her lacquerware in the big market in HCMC - is this the best place or is there better quality available elsewhere in HCMC?

Thanks all - can't wait to get there. Kaz

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lacquerware questions

You will have the best selections in the larger cities. I purchased a lot of it in HCMC many years ago. Be aware though, that it is very heavy. If you purchase it at the beginning of your journey, just have the store keep it for you until you return.

Don't buy it at the markets, find a store that sells nothing but lacquerware. There are many of those. You will need to take one or two full days out of your schedule if you are going to buy substantial quantities.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lacquerware questions

Also find a store yourself rather than following a tour guide - guides can earn up to 60% commission from certain lacquerware shops, which would swallow up any discount you might otherwise be able to negotiate for yourself.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lacquerware questions

don't buy at the market cause of cheap quality. look very shiny but worn out easily with time and weather. walk along Dong Khoi st for that

Cheers

Brisbane
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lacquerware questions

Thank you for your comments. I suspected I would get better quality in a shop rather than the markets. Once we leave HCMC we won't be coming back so we have to take it with us. Will have to try and choose smaller pieces. Any other suggestions as to best place to purchase would be appreciated. Kaz

Sydney
Level Contributor
114 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lacquerware questions

Nga is the name of one of the nicest lacquerware shops I’ve found in HCMC. Their products are really beautiful works of art and are export quality. They have won many, many awards and are worth seeking out, even just to look at. You can buy lacquer in all the markets, but nothing like Nga’s. They are now located at 49-57 Dong Du Street (opposite the Sheraton).

Brisbane
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lacquerware questions

Thank you so much. We are staying at the Sheraton! I would much rather just have one or two really nice authentic pieces as momentos than cheap tourist rubbish. Is there anything else that is especially Vietnamese that would be good to purchase?

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lacquerware questions

Most of the shoes you buy in Europe were manufactured in Vietnam (or China) :-)

Very authentic :-)

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lacquerware questions

Xq hand emroidery is vietnam masterpiece of art. U should check it out

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,760 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lacquerware questions

I want to buy laquerware for gifts so I am wondering what the price difference would be in the shops that just sell it (such as the ones on Dong Khoi st) to the markets? For example a platter the size of a small dinner plate or coasters ???

Yes I am also interested in Embroidery as in table runners and supper cloths. I have seen this from a friend that bought it in the way of small framed prints.(I dont want those) Is this good quality in the markets and again, prices.... and price differences to the product bought in a shop?

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lacquerware questions

I would agree with heinzhuynh regarding XQ embroidery. I have been to their beautifully made exhibitions in Hue and Nha Trang multiple times. The items are quite expensive, but the owner and creator of the business has found a niche which strikes me as entirely Vietnam. If you're in one of the two places (and possibly also others) you should go and have a look.