We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to use credit cards?

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to use credit cards?

Is it safe to use a credit card to pay at hotels for accommodation?

Thankyou,

Karen.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to use credit cards?

Karen, paying by credit card is probably just as safe as anywhere else, provided you don't loose sight of it. You would find though that you may end up with additional bank charges due to currency conversions and other card fees charged. We used Travelex card on our trip, loaded it up with dollars before we left and then got dong out of the ATM, there is also provision to add funds to the card from your main account if needed. You have to pay a small fee to withdraw from the ATM but I believe it was cheaper than if you used an Aust. credit card.

Greg

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to use credit cards?

Perfectly safe to use credit cards.

But please exercise the same precautions that you would in your home country of watching the card being processed within your presence and in full view.

If it needs to be taken in to a back room best not to let it happen at all.

Best regards. Ian

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to use credit cards?

Another alternative is the NAB Gold Visa Debit card.

You pay a $10 per month fee but only if you transfer less than $5,000 onto it, which is highly unlikely before a holiday. but there are absolutely no extra charges. Then when you come home, go back to the bank and change it back to a normal visa debit card if you want. No fees whatsoever! Unlike my CommBank card last year which attracted huge fees on previous holidays, so I've become a NAB convert.

Edited: 24 October 2011, 23:29
New York
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to use credit cards?

i agree with the others here; i have used credit cards to pay hotel bills several times, never had a problem. just be sure to save your receipts and look over your month's bill carefully. odds are your bank will charge you a little extra for their service. enjoy your trip.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to use credit cards?

It is common practice for hotels to pass on to customers the cost they incur from Visa etc. The charge to you may be around 2-3% of your hotel bill, which can amount to quite a lot so ask beforehand.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to use credit cards?

It is safe enough. Remember, that any fraud is the risk of the issuer, not the holder. My bank once issued a new card to me after I returned. They do keep an eye out when the card is used in places they monitor.

The bank also once phoned my wife while she was in a store in India, purchasing a watch. Just to check.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to use credit cards?

Heed what creaky says.... Many places will add 3 % to the total for accepting your card. They me also require a photocopy of the front and back that makes people uncomforatable. You can also use your credit card at the bank to get cash advances, and then pay cash.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to use credit cards?

Thank everyone for your comments.

Regards,

Karen.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to use credit cards?

Karen

Don't forget to let the bank know where and when you will be travelling, or they will most probably cancel your card. It is a pain getting it reinstated.

DG

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to use credit cards?

Nessnem

Can you cancel the NAB Gold visa debit card when you return?

I just got my bank statement from my one month trip in May/June and there were well over $200 Aus bank charges. It wasn't just that I was always at the ATM because of the low withdrawal limit, but if I found an ATM with a higher limit, so did the Commonwealth Bank charges rise.

DG