We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lobster

enumclaw
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
lobster

looking for a low key restarant that serves great lobster-had the best meal of my life in saigon 1973-lobster-

also is 7-8 dollars fair price from airport to downtown

finally i am traveling from port in hue/danang(chuy may) to kontum-is 195 a fair price for two via auto??

thanks so much-love the forum

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lobster

Use the search box for the word 'lobster'. Once you see the prices the airport-downtown transfer price will seem less of a worry :-)

Redcliffe, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lobster

Jim, those days are long gone,. Try Bali, but make sure it is Fresh!! Today you pay around $150-00 a head for lobster.. $8-00 airport to dist1 is okay, only use Mai Linh or Vinisun taxis and check the phone numbers on their doors as there are a lot of fakes out there and they are ripoffs, like to charge lobster prices,,,M_Linh 38383838 V_sun 38272727 only use these.. If you want to replicate your best ever meal, then do the weekend buffet at the Sheraton Hotel. Costs around $60-00 a head but unbelievable, includes unlimited free wine ie; Hardys CabSav 2007 and either smoking or not tables. Now this is the best EVER buffet, you name it it;s there,seriously, better than anything i've ever had in Australia, regardless of cost!!!!Noddy.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,041 posts
1,841 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lobster

Noddy

I agree great buffet. The BBQ is cooked fresh in front of you with various cooking stations with Chefs.Check out my review but the seafood couldnt be any fresher-prawns still swimming in the tank...no lobster though.

tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g293925…

One of the largest and best buffets Ive been to was called Spirals at Sofitell in Manila. Im not joking..Hundreds of dishes and food as far as one can see and located on the Manila Bay.Seriously one can only eat so much.

Tommo

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lobster

Noddy's right Jim, lobster prices are not cheap anywhere on earth any more. 2008 we were in Kaikoura New Zealand. The town name translates as "LOBSTER" so we decided that's what we'd have. Nope! $85 per kilo from the fish market and prepare and cook yourself.

Bali 2011 (Jan) even more expensive, but we could have had numerous varieties of prawns/shrimp at a fraction of the price. (we did!)

Vietnam last month. Same story. Everyone in the world now knows just how much their lobster is worth. Most of it is shipped off to eager markets overseas within a day of being caught, driving local prices up. I'm like you, remembering ridiculously cheap prices for lobster in Indonesia in the '70's, but alas, those days are long gone.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lobster

The Vehicle price is a bit high but not unreasonable. For around the same price, you could hire a couple of riders and see the countryside from the back of motorcycles ;)

The current price of lobster in a seafood restaraunt in Nha Trang (known for inexpensive seafood) is 75 dollars a Kilo. The 10-20 dollar a kilo lobster people sometimes refer to is not always fit for human consumption.

Owee

www.owee58.com

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
842 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lobster

Well,Jim you're welcome to get your lobster here in Maine!! Saw a sign last night for one pounders for $3.49 per pound.

Seriously, have a great trip! I was there in 1969-70 and we went back to Saigon for three days in 2006 at the end of our Tibet trip. I was glad we did. Make sure to have a drink on the Rex roof!

It was nice to eat in places I couldn't afford when I was last there.

enumclaw
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lobster

thanks everyone for response-guess i'l go to maine for lobster and just concentrate on local cuisine-

thanks again!!!!

jacksonville
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lobster

lobster ???

Have you weent he size of the BIG SHRIMP in vietnam? they are bigger than some lobsters.

Redcliffe, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lobster

Tommo, I gotta try that Manila restaraunt some time. I;m coming back to hcm next year and will be fronting up to the Sheraton again..Pity one can only eat so much!!!! Ah, I love it!!! Good review too mate...Noddy.

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
697 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lobster

Ok that has sorted our me. Next time my cousin in law offers me a Crayfish whilst he is diving I will say 4 please so I can keep some in the freezer for Xmas. Thank goodness for the ability to catch your own. Whilst in Vietnam I think I will stick to shrimp!!