We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM or take cash???

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
297 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
ATM or take cash???

Will be staying at the Caravelle for four nights ex Singapore.

Are there ATMs close by where you can safely withdraw cash?

Or would we be better off taking cash SG$ and changing as required?

Is it safe to use credit card in shops that offer card facilities?

Thanks.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,681 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM or take cash???

If you're from Brisbane why wouldn't you take cash AUD and avoid two lots of exchange fees?

I would be surprised if there weren't nearby ATMs. With the credit card (assuming you have notified your bank about using it overseas) you should play it by ear and don't let the card leave your sight.

Saigon
Level Contributor
2,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM or take cash???

Yeap, Plenty of ATMs here and one right in front of Caravelle hotel and all you can withdraw is local VND and it is safe to pay by credit card with 3% bank fee

Really good choice to stay at Caravelle

Cheers and welcome to saigon

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,326 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM or take cash???

So many ATM's around that area you'll be overwhelmed for choice. But do check the fee being charged. Most are 20,000 dong per 2million withdrawn but some (Sacombank comes to mind) charge 30,000 dong. I've yet to come across any that don't charge unless you happen to have a local bank account.

As mentioned forget changing to another currency. AUD will do just fine. Credit card transactions (and debit cards!) usually attract an extra 3% levy. Chip and pin readers seem to be sprouting up as well.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM or take cash???

I'm using my credit card, no problem finding ATMs

USA
Level Contributor
26 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM or take cash???

I always bring cash and there are plenty of places to exchange at a much better rate than you get from an ATM. Check the rates not only at currency exchange points, but at the jewelry stores.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM or take cash???

Please note that changing money in VN is illegal unless done through the banking system. The Govt over the last year or so have been cracking down and fines have been applied to those who use the black market.

In regard to credit cards be sure your credit card discharges all intrerest charged when you pay the balance as cash withdrawals at most Aust. banks have different rules about interest compared to debit cards.

Cheers Ross

Ho Chi Minh City...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM or take cash???

Some small notes is useful. Credit/Debit card can be used in Vietnam. Most supermarkets, luxury hotels and restaurants, shops in major cities accept Credit card. ATMs are spread over all cities. If you have an iPhone, you can use the app ATM&Bank to find ATM/Bank in all cities of Vietnam. appolicious.com/tech/apps/1085527-atm-bank-v…

This app also can have offline map to support you when there is no internet connection. Some fee will be charged for withrdrawing cash. Just ask your bank before go.

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM or take cash???

Bring cash to avoid bank fees. Aussie dollar gives you a good rate now.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
535 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM or take cash???

I am intending to take cash, we are staying at the Caravelle as well.

Cheers

Kass

10. Re: ATM or take cash???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 17:18