We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transiting in Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi on Vietnam Airlines

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transiting in Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi on Vietnam Airlines

I am travelling to Hanoi via Ho Chi Minh on Vietnam Airlines same flight number. I have been told I will need to collect my bags in Saigon and re-check them in for my Hanoi flight. This doesn't seem right to me, if anyone has done this trip and can let me know the procedure that would be great!!

Thanks Fleabagga!!

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,432 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transiting in Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi on Vietnam Airlines

I dont recall a transit lounge in the Airport and maybe that means a short walk with your luggage (trolleys provided) to Domestic next door. Strange though if you have the same flight number. Really a question for VN Airlines Melbourne.

Cheers Ross

melbourne
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Transiting in Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi on Vietnam Airlines

Thanks Ross

I have checked with them and apparently they help you transit(with luggage) to the domestic flight. Seems strange to me as well but when in Rome... haha

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
189 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transiting in Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi on Vietnam Airlines

Hi Fleabagga

Have just found your post and am wondering how you got on . We are in the same predicament. Was it an easy process, were you given good instructions as I am a little concerned about this.

Thanks

Chris

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,323 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transiting in Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi on Vietnam Airlines

I don't know about a transit lounge but the transit desk is over to the far left as you enter the immigration hall in the international terminal. As you're flying on the same flight number I'd expect VA to do the necessaries for you. i.e. tell you where to go and what proceedures are in place. Case of listening to the announcements when you land.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transiting in Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi on Vietnam Airlines

We've done the same from Melbourne You're right about changing planes at HCMC. Your "international" flight ends there, and you take a domestic flight (usually a very large, but uncomfortable Boeing 777) to Hanoi.

Your luggage will be marked as checked through to Hanoi, but you will have to collect it in HCMC and go through customs and immigration there. It is sent to a different carousel than luggage terminating in Saigon, so watch for this.

After leaving your plane there is a clearly marked Hanoi "kiosk" on the walkway staffed by airport personnel who will put a bright transit sticker on your shirt, and direct you to the correct place to claim your luggage. They speak good English.

There are further staff, again clearly marked, at the luggage carousel to help you claim your bags and direct you through customs (usually just walk through) to another open area where you leave your luggage to be loaded on your connecting flight.

There, other staff will take you to a shuttle bus for the short trip to the domestic terminal. Even more staff will meet you there and ensure that you get to the departure lounge OK.

Before we left we were pretty sure that we would have to do all the immigration/customs thing at HCM, and felt that there was ample opportunity for everything to go pear shaped at that point. However the reality was that the airport administration had all bases covered, and it was all very easy and painless. Sad part was that no one in an Australian airport had any idea of these procedures.

Probably best to get visas before you leave, save the time of queuing up for VOA and the possibility of missing your connecting flight.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,432 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transiting in Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi on Vietnam Airlines

Good info Gaz particularly the possible disadvantages of VOA on these occasions.

Cheers Ross

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,323 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transiting in Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi on Vietnam Airlines

Good info - think your the first to give a blow by blow account of whst takes place, think it might be an idea to add a travellers article on it.

One query though, are you saying you didn't need to go through immigration / customs in Hanoi. Reason I ask is if that is the case and you did not, why the orange stickers. I'd have thought you'd be the same as a 'normal' arriving international traveller switching to a domestic flight.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
189 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transiting in Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi on Vietnam Airlines

Thanks for the detailed info westendgaz. It sounds like vn airport have it all under control. I hope it all goes smoothly for us.

Have Visas through Embassy in Canberra already organised

Really looking forward to our first trip to Vietnam in 8 weeks. The posts and advice on TA have been fantastic in helping us work out what to do and see.

Thanks again.

Chris545

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transiting in Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi on Vietnam Airlines

Hey Chris,

Just to confirm the info you have. Someone sticks a transit sticker on you as soon as you land in HCMC and you are ushered beautifully thru customs and then 200 metres down the road by shuttle to the domestic airport (you can walk if u wish). Generally you have a 2ish hour wait in transit but there are some nice restaurants/cafes in the domestic terminal.

On arrival in Hanoi there are no customs as such as it is a domestic flight.

We travelled to Vietnam last Sept and also Nov and are now booked again in July with Vietnam Airlines. They were outstanding each time and you should enjoy their hospitality.

Mark

USA
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Transiting in Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi on Vietnam Airlines

Westengaz,

What makes Vietnam Airlines Boeing 777 uncomfortable? They use the same Boeing as any other airlines from any other countries? Did they take the seats off and let you sit on the floor? Did they take out the bathrooms? Did they take out the air conditioning? Maybe they use bamboo chairs? I'm just curious what makes the Vietnam Airlines Boeing 777 uncomfortable. I've been on it probably over 10 times now and each time, rather it was Vietnam Airlines Airbus or Boeing, they seem normal to me.