We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription Drugs in Vietnam/Ho CM...How Safe/Expensive???

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
352 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Prescription Drugs in Vietnam/Ho CM...How Safe/Expensive???

Just wondering for prescription medication (from USA) are they generally available in Vietnam/Ho Chi Ming City? If you go to drug stores outside the hospitals are they generally safe (the real thing not counterfeits)? Are they Cheaper/Expensive then buying from the US or Thailand?

thanks,

John

Best Seller
Half-Day Cu Chi Tunnels and Luxury...
322 reviews
from US$85.00*
Special Offer
Mekong Delta Small-Group Day Trip...
643 reviews
from US$48.75*
US$65.00
Best Seller
Cu Chi Tunnel Small-Group Tour with...
184 reviews
from US$26.00*
Cu Chi Tunnels and Mekong Delta VIP...
47 reviews
from US$80.00*
Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription Drugs in Vietnam/Ho CM...How Safe/Expensive???

Buy it in US. You don't know which want is fake or not.

Sheffield U.K
Level Contributor
996 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription Drugs in Vietnam/Ho CM...How Safe/Expensive???

i wouldn't consider them cheap either i bought some celebrex there they were about $1 a tablet

David

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription Drugs in Vietnam/Ho CM...How Safe/Expensive???

I bought Diazepam there on a few occasions ( I hasten to add that it had been prescribed by my doctor but I didn't want to take the risk of bringing them through Singapore airport - even though I had a letter from my doctor). The first batch didn't do anything and must have been fake. On my second attempt at a pharmacy the lady wouldn't give me sufficient to cover my holiday period - but they did work. On the third attempt I also managed to get some more that worked and enough to last me the holiday.

They weren't particularly cheap mind.

You'll probably need to know the generic name of your medication in order for the pharmacist to be able to see if they have got stocks. I don't think mentioning brand names will guarantee success.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription Drugs in Vietnam/Ho CM...How Safe/Expensive???

Buy trom a large pharmacy recommended by your hotel reception, they are likely to have trained people and operate under their own license. Use the smaller ones only to get bandaid and such.

The little use I've made of pharmacies in Vietnam has been pleasant, and the drugs cheaper by an order of magnitude. Your mileage may vary.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
352 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescription Drugs in Vietnam/Ho CM...How Safe/Expensive???

I've heard that Vietnam restricts the amount of medicine (couple months worth) one can carry/send out of the country, is this true? thanks

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
485 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prescription Drugs in Vietnam/Ho CM...How Safe/Expensive???

any narcotic based drug will be scrutinized. This creates the irony...... within VN you can buy over the counter some very heavy prescription opium based pain killers (knock out drugs) without a prescription where in your own country, most likely dispensed from a hospital one pill at a time. (been there, done that)

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,596 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prescription Drugs in Vietnam/Ho CM...How Safe/Expensive???

I think you'll find Vietnam is not alone in checking quantities of drugs being carried. Just about any developed country has the same policy.

As to how cheap, if you send a Vietnamese along they will invariably will get it cheaper than a foreigner. As to whether such products are authentic, it isn't unknown for fakes to exist - same as happens in the UK. All you can do is buy from legit looking pharmacies and check the labels etc. If you go to expat clinics expect to pay much more..... at least that has been my mileage to date.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prescription Drugs in Vietnam/Ho CM...How Safe/Expensive???

There are reputable pharmacies but you have to ask people to find them. Some drugs are substantially cheaper. For example, oral contraceptives are very cheap in Vietnam compared to the US, even after you factor in what you pay after your health insurance pays. Celebrex at my local pharmacy in Hanoi was $0.80 a few weeks ago, cheaper than in the US.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prescription Drugs in Vietnam/Ho CM...How Safe/Expensive???

Other than using good pharmacies, know your prices at home.

I get tonsilitis every year and am always prescibed Amoxycillin, I got this for a good price there, about half the cost of here in Aust. However Nexium was almost twice as expensive.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
352 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prescription Drugs in Vietnam/Ho CM...How Safe/Expensive???

I know that US and other developed countries check for in coming controlled substance. I was just surprised to hear from my friend (who's relative is a pharmacist in Vietnam, whom I was going to get the medicine from) that vietnam checks for these drugs if they are taken out of the country.