We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I wish someone had have told me

Adelaide
Level Contributor
512 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
I wish someone had have told me

Hi, I am looking at taking hubby and the 2 kids (8 and 2) to Vietnam for about 2 weeks early next year. What I would love to know is what you wished someone had told you before you went. What not to pack, what should you buy, what is a must see attraction and any major faux pars to avoid, that kind of stuff! We have done a fair bit of traveling in se Asia, the US and most of Southern Africa. I love taking the kids so they know there is more to life than just our back yard!

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I wish someone had have told me

Most things you would nomally take are available here at low cost. Leave jackets at home and bring only light summer clothes, and a good deet based repellant if going into wet areas. Take a look at Nha Trang as one of your destinations. There is more for kids to do there than in any other city.

Here is a link that may help you decide

owee58.com/2010/…

Owee

www.owee58.com

Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I wish someone had have told me

We will be in SE asia in one week. We will be visiting Con Dao, Hoi An, the Mekong river area, as well as, Siem Reap. Will we need to also bring along umbrellas/ ponchos?

Edited: 31 May 2012, 02:20
vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I wish someone had have told me

Red, you may need them but I wouldn't bring from home. Buy here much cheaper. You can get really cheap ponchos which are very effective but only last a few times as they easily rip when putting on/ taking off.

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I wish someone had have told me

If coming early next year be aware of TET ( Vietnamese New Year ) Nothing to worry about but if you are here over Tet make sure you have booked transportation and accommodation to avoid disappointment.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,074 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I wish someone had have told me

You should know that Vietnam is just a little different from the rest of SE Asia, and I think the best way for you to find out why would be to read here on TA as well as on Travelfish. It's not just about what places to go and what to see. People who fail to do their homework about VN are often quite disappointed, but just the opposite if you prepare well.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I wish someone had have told me

I agree totally with what Daawgon said. We've travelled a lot with our now 10 year old daughter in Asia (& the US) and thought this would be same, same but different.

I spent around 8 months researching on Trip Advisor etc and when we arrived here 2 & a half weeks ago got quite a shock. Not a bad shock I might add, but I think I was shell shocked by the HCMC traffic. And I'd seen it on You tube! The heat seems different, but possibly because we usually travel between July & September. It's all just different.

Having said that, we're having a fabulous time.

Agree with Owee about NhaTrang. Your kids will love Vinpearl Land. Read good & bad reports about it, and as we were in Disneland in September & the Gold Coast theme parks in January, I expected to be very disappointed. I wasn't. But more importantly, out daughter loved it. She still prefers Malaysia as her favorite Asian country and has struggled a bit with HCMC & Hanoi in terms of not much for kids. But Nha Trang & Hoi An she liked - it helped that we stayed in 5* resorts with beautiful pools there!!

Happy planning!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I wish someone had have told me

Research the restaurants on TA before you go - it's a lot of work but it pays off - just dropping in to an eating place can end up being a disappointment sometimes.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I wish someone had have told me

I forgot to add, feel free to ask any questions or PM if there's anything specific you'd line to know. We get home on Monday so after that I'll be better positioned to give more detail if required.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
512 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I wish someone had have told me

Thanks so much for all the replies so far! I'm a tad fanatical about planning and preparing!! We only got back from a month in Bali on Monday and I'm already organizing the next trip! We will go back to south Africa next year too, but that's to see family so I'm a bit flexible with when next year we go. I would like to hire a nanny for mr psycho 2 year old tho!! Once my broadband is back, I will pm you Nessnem (our house sitters chewed through our broadband and we are only on dial up now!!) any one have any thing to suggest that I "must" buy too?

Warners Bay...
Level Contributor
463 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I wish someone had have told me

Hi frilly, we just came back from 6 weeks Vietnam and Cambodia, and as Nessnem said research is the key if you are going to organise everything yourself, be aware that the travel times are nothing like home, 100km drive can take up to 3hrs, train travel is fun but not like we are use too and I have travelled extensively through SEA by trains and VN is different, pack 2 power point adaptors as the north and south are different, having said that though alot of hotels do have adaptors you can borrow. Suggest to get from A to B use internal flights, they are cheap and saves time. Must buys well where to start, I was not going to buy anything except for silk lanterns in Hoi An 30 lanterns later, excessive but they are beautiful, lacquer ware is lovely, stone carvings from Hoi An I could not resist, its a Pagoda shape carving not large but big enough for a candle and they are stunning, a good size memory stick for your camera I took 1600 photos :-)) and of course a good sense of humour is a must, the Vietnamese love a good laugh.

Cheers Sylvia