We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ho Chi Minh City - December

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ho Chi Minh City - December

Hi all,

We have now decided to spend 4-5 nights in the south of Vietnam and then go across to Siem Reap in Cambodia.

We are looking at staying in District 1 in HCMC. We want to visit the tunnels and also Mekong River. Can you visit these places in a separate day trips or would it be best to stay over night. Our flights are in and out of HCMC so just trying to work out if it is best to book our accommodation in HCMC and then just do day trips but I'm not sure if they are close enough for this to be done?

Thanks so much :)

HCMC
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ho Chi Minh City - December

Good afternoon

If you want to visit Cu Chi tunnels on separate day, I recommned you going there in the afternoon at 01:00 pm or very early in the morning at 07:00 am to avoid seeing other tourists and tour buses. It takes you 1 hour and 20 minutes to get there from your hotel in Saigon. It costs you 80.000 VND for one entrance ticket and you can shoot real guns AK 47, M16, M60. It costs 350.000 VND ( 17 USD) for minimum 10 bullets and it takes you 1. 5 hours back to Saigon

For Mekong overnight, Cai Be homestay . It takes you 2 hours to reach there from Saigon ( 100 kms), you will have a bike ride when you get there, cook dinner with the house owner, have dinner with them , the next day, you will wake up at 05:00 am for an early boat trip at 05:30 am to see Cai Be floating market at sunrise, Phu Chau Pagoda, mainland market, take sampan ride along lovely canal, go to local house for Mekong typical lunch

For Mekong overnight, Can Tho 2 days ( 175 kms from Saigon), you will drive 2 hours to reach Cai Be town for the floating market, mainland market, Phu Chau pagoda visit and sampan ride along lovely canal, best home cooked Mekong typical lunch and you will drive 1.5 hours to reach Can Tho from Cai Be . Check in at the hotel ( Kim Tho hotel 50 USD riverside view room is highly recommended ), go to Sao Hom, Nam Bo or Nam Do restaurant for dinner, visit Kim Tho rooftop bar on the top floor for a great view of Can Tho bridge by night, Can Tho city at night. The next day, you will wake up early at 05:00 am for an early 05:30 am boat trip to see the biggest floating market in the world Cai Rang floating market at sunrise, enjoy fresh pineapple, on the way back to hotel, you will visit Tan An live fish market . Have breakfast and drive 3 hours back to Saigon. You can visit Dong Tam snake farm at My Tho

or you can visit Cai Be for Mekong one day with an early departure at 06:00 am or 06:15 am or 06:30 am. It takes you 2 hours to reach there around 08:00 am or 08:15 am , still early enough to see the floating market. You will visit Phu Chau Pagoda, mainland market, take sampan ride along lovely canal, go to the local house for Mekong typical lunch and then drive 2.5 hours back to your hotel in Saigon

Jason SSS

Hanoi
Level Contributor
734 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ho Chi Minh City - December

I think half day for Cu chi tunnel and 2-3 days for mekong delta is enough time.

Sydney
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ho Chi Minh City - December

Thanks guys :-)

Can you do the Mekong Delta in a day trip?

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,325 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ho Chi Minh City - December

You can but overnight would probably be better. Most day tours are same same places and same same itineraries! You might as well go for the cheapest if you go one day only .

On my trips to Cu Chi tunnels (both sections) I can't say that there were that many tourists i.e. we didn't have to queue anywhere. I preferred the part of Cu Chi tunnels which has the Ben Duoc War Memorial in its grounds. No shooting (with all the noise that that brings) and a far better experience all round than the main complex where most parties end up. Yes, it might be further away (around 8km if I remember right) but well worth going there.

HCMC
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ho Chi Minh City - December

Dear SydneyMuzza

you can visit Cai Be for Mekong one day with an early departure at 06:00 am or 06:15 am or 06:30 am. It takes you 2 hours to reach there around 08:00 am or 08:15 am , still early enough to see the floating market. You will visit Phu Chau Pagoda, mainland market, take sampan ride along lovely canal, go to the local house for Mekong typical lunch and then drive 2.5 hours back to your hotel in Saigon

Jason SSS

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ho Chi Minh City - December

Can highly recommend Jason as a tour guide. We used him last year for a 2 day Mekong Delta & Cu Chi tunnels tour as well as a half day city tour. Let me know if you want any more info on what our tour consisted of.

7. Re: Ho Chi Minh City - December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:16