We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HCMC to Dalat

nsw
Level Contributor
785 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
HCMC to Dalat

Hi all, we are arriving from Cambodia at about 1pm & want to go to Dalat.

Has anyone used a private car for this trip? I was thinking of hiring a car & driver instead of bussing it?

Any idea of cost? Also how long by car?

And finally how long does it take by bus?

Thanks

Red

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HCMC to Dalat

Did you mean to say you were arriving in VIetnam not Cambodia, if it's Cambodia then maybe you are not aware that Dalat is in Vietnam

nsw
Level Contributor
785 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HCMC to Dalat

Sorry I meant we are arriving from Cambodia into HCMC AT ABOUT 1pm

Red

Vung Tau, Vietnam
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HCMC to Dalat

I think arriving from Cambodia was fine easy enough to understand.Its about 6-7 hours by bus,so its a slow old drive up the range,the other option is to fly to Dalat.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HCMC to Dalat

agree with the flight to Dalat rather private car and long ride (at least 08hrs) and cost a lot too

cheers

nsw
Level Contributor
785 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HCMC to Dalat

Sorry about the caps lock! Didn't check before isn't & trying to watch the grandchild riding the scooter, obviously I can't multi task!

I thought it was only about4 hrs by car so my thinking was that by the time we got to the airport & flew, we would have used up 3 or more hrs so driving wouldn't have been that much more time.

Now I think it will be flying, can't imagine spending 8 hrs in a car after already being on a bus for 6!

Thanks all

Red

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,770 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HCMC to Dalat

Red Saigon2muine have a car and driver service from HCMC (Airport if required) to Dalat for $157 and it takes around 6 hours.

Cheers Ross

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,343 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HCMC to Dalat

Yes, I would fly. Will be about the same price as taking a car and is less than an hour.

nsw
Level Contributor
785 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HCMC to Dalat

Yes I think flying is the best option

Red

Hanoi
Level Contributor
734 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HCMC to Dalat

you should take a bus to Dalat (Phuong trang bus is recommended), it takes about 6hrs to go by bus and cost at 5$/pax

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HCMC to Dalat

Just for anyone else interested. We took Phuong Trang. 190k VND each. Modern, spacious bus. Free bottle of water(as usual). Left 1/2 hour after scheduled to, no biggie. Driver totally insane. Someone crashed into him on way out of Saigon (our drivers fault) so he had no right rear-view mirrir forabout 40k. All over the road. Frightening at times. I'm sure this is he norm in Vietnam though, as it has been my experience everywhere else in Asia so you just get used to it. 3 rest stops. We arrived in one piece 9 hours later. Drop off at bus terminus just outside town. Metred taxi to hotel only 60k VND. I would recommend Phuong Truong from HCMC to Dalat. Definitely not worth paying huge sums for a private car. Leave on any bus before 10am though to give yourself the time for delays & what not.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 16:25