We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel or Tour Payment by Dong or USD or card?

Singapore
Level Contributor
163 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel or Tour Payment by Dong or USD or card?

Hi all,

I have been reading different things about payment. Hope you all can enlighten me.

Which is better? Alot of hotels and tour actually list their rates in USD. So in such cases, should we pay in Dong or USD?

Moreover I read some people say use credit card for hotel payment but I understand there will be additional admin charge right?

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel or Tour Payment by Dong or USD or card?

It is the same to pay in Dong or in usd and yes they will charge 3% credit card fees if you pay by card, American express will be charged abit higher.

Cheers,

Nhung

HCMC
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel or Tour Payment by Dong or USD or card?

Dear Nitegal80 , if they quote you in USD , please pay in American Dollars ( bring from home ) . If they quote you in VND, you please pay in VND ( withdraw from ATM )and if you pay with credit cards, some will charge you 3% for the fee

1 USD = 20.900 VND , some charge 21.000 VND. So the exchange rates are different too when they convert into VND or in USD

Jason SSS

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel or Tour Payment by Dong or USD or card?

I usually just access my money from an ATM and so I pay with Dong. If I happen to have USD and the price advertised is in USD then I pay with USD, because sometimes when they then convert it to Dong they will use an unfavourable rate.

And yes it is normal in Vietnam that they will charge you for credit card so it is best to pay cash.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
734 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel or Tour Payment by Dong or USD or card?

all hotels and tours agent receive all kinds of payment: dollar, dong or card , if you have USD should pay by dollar special with big amount coz if you pay by Dong some hotels' exvhange rate is high. at this moment 1USD= 20.850, but sometimes exchange rate at hotel is 21.000. Pay by card plus 3% for bank fee.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel or Tour Payment by Dong or USD or card?

Don't change your own currency first to USA dollars it's better to change directly to Dong.

london
Level Contributor
391 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel or Tour Payment by Dong or USD or card?

We found that many places quote in USD as they think it is easier for people to understand, as their numbers are so big. There is no point converting your currency into dollars, just convert into dong.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,427 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel or Tour Payment by Dong or USD or card?

JASONTOURGUID...

1 USD = 20.900 VND , some charge 21.000 VND. So the exchange rates are different too when they convert into VND or in USD

---------

100 dong difference is hardly going to break the bank. Even if you changed $100 that would only equal 10000, 50cents........ not worth working a sweat up for.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,735 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel or Tour Payment by Dong or USD or card?

Nitegal,

As has been said many, many, many times on this forum over the years, USD prices are quoted merely for convenience as the US dollar is an internationally recognised currency and the Vietnam dong, even at low denominations, has so many zeroes that it can be confusing to visitors.

Despite what Jason says in post no. 2 (why Jason?) you do not need to pay for anything in US dollars unless you so wish, and remember that by doing so you will incur two sets of currency exchange costs: Singapore dollars to US dollars, and US dollars to dong, because even though US dollars are accepted, by law the person being paid has to process the transaction in dong, and invariably at an exchange rate that's favourable to him or her.

It's up to you whether you bring a huge wad of Singapore dollars to exchange for dong at banks or wherever, or use ATMs to withdraw cash. Large bills or purchases can be paid for in cash or by credit card, whichever works out cheapest for you or is the most convenient.

Edited: 20 July 2012, 21:50
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,533 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel or Tour Payment by Dong or USD or card?

A 3% charge for using your credit card is the worth the convenience. As CB says the USD quote for prices is for comparison purposes only as it is illegal in VN to charge in any currency other than VN Dong.

Cheers Ross

10. Re: Hotel or Tour Payment by Dong or USD or card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 July 2012, 14:19