We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7hr stop over - stay in the airport or go outside?

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
7hr stop over - stay in the airport or go outside?

Hi guys,

I am travelling to Japan via Vietnam in March, we have a week stop over on the way there but on the way back we have 7 hours or so and were thinking about our options there??

If we go out, I assume we will need a double entry visa, but is it worth it. I don't know the airport well enough to know if you can kill 7 hours easily enough or is it easy enough to jump in a cab and go for a massage and a meal somewhere to soak up our last few hours of annual leave?

Any thoughts??

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7hr stop over - stay in the airport or go outside?

You'll go nuts in the airport. Get the correct visa and take the 152 bus into town. If your luggage is not checked through, cloak it and take the 152 bus. That is an experience and no shorter than a taxi. Cost ? .40cents, the terminus is at Ben Thanh Market. Have a stroll around there and walk back down to Pham Ngu Lao Street for a drink and peoplewatch until ready for the Taxi to airport. Allow 45 minutes for the taxi.

Cheers Ross

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7hr stop over - stay in the airport or go outside?

Awesome feedback, I will give it a crack!

I figured as much but advice from the source is very helpfull!

Thanks,

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7hr stop over - stay in the airport or go outside?

Thanks Ross,

Great info!!

My daughter is also in this situation,

Cheers Mac

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,763 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7hr stop over - stay in the airport or go outside?

that's really great advice from Ross, and you will have lots of fun...it would be assumed you will already have a visa

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,475 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7hr stop over - stay in the airport or go outside?

The airports at SGN/HCM and HAN have to be about the most booring and least passenger/user friendly/comfortable in SE Asia.

And especially so for those with long stop-overs between flights.

And the Business Class lounge at both of them is just the same with very unhelpfull staff who are absent much of the time.

Get out and about from the airport even if it is only in to the near-by shopping mall.

Best regards. Ian

London, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7hr stop over - stay in the airport or go outside?

Agreed with the others - there is nothing to do in Saigon airport and there isn't even wireless throughout the airport. Spending an hour is more than enough so go out if you can.

I just got back yesterday and had a similar question - we had a 4 hour layover and choose to use our multiple entry visas to go back out. So glad we did it!

- We were flying Vietnam Airlines on both legs so we asked nicely and even though we had separate tickets for each flight, they were happy to check our bags through.

- Since we only had 4 hours, we decided to take taxis. It costed us about 130,000 VND to get to the city centre and about 20 minutes.

- We decided to grab a drink on the Rex Hotel's roof terrace, and then followed that by dinner at Blanchy Street. It was a great way to pass the time - highly recommended.

- When coming back, we had to clear immigration and security but were able to do it in less than 30 minutes. One hour before our flight was more than sufficient given our luggage was already checked and we had our boarding passes.

Other nice restaurant/bar options can be found on my tips & recommendations of my blog: mangopancakes.com/2013/01/new-years-eve-in-h…

Perth
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7hr stop over - stay in the airport or go outside?

After spending sometime in Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City you would kick yourself for not having more time in VN. Trust me I am going back in 2 months.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7hr stop over - stay in the airport or go outside?

Thanks for all the great advice, multiple entry visa here I come!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7hr stop over - stay in the airport or go outside?

I am with you Nguoi , also going back in 2 Months.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7hr stop over - stay in the airport or go outside?

$130 buck multiple entry! Rather brutal but I will do it, it does make it an expensive beer to kill some time though;)