We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

saigon river express,worth the extra cost for tours?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
saigon river express,worth the extra cost for tours?

hi all,

we are thinking of using the river express for their cu-chi and mekong day tours.i am aware they are a lot more expensive than the bus group tours,but are they worth all the extra cost?

was just after some feedback from people who may of used them for those tours.they seem to get good reviews on here and everything is included.

we do like the idea of going via water rather than a much longer tour bus with a lot larger group.

i know it is a personal choice but some feed back would be

appreciated. thank you in advance.

cheers

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: saigon river express,worth the extra cost for tours?

Might help......... tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293925-i8433-k5…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: saigon river express,worth the extra cost for tours?

Thanks bertie.think we'll go with them.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: saigon river express,worth the extra cost for tours?

We did it last week with my 3 teenage kids. So with us it was a total of 10 people on the tour. We enjoyed it the boat was nice & our guide spoke quite good English so you could talk to him. I think we would have enjoyed it also with the cheaper option as looking out the bus as the scenery would also be good and as there is 5 of us it was an expensive day. If your on your own its probably a good tour & I would chose it. Hope this helps

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: saigon river express,worth the extra cost for tours?

thanks ciaoborland for the feedback.only 2 of us so bit cheaper than your 5.

hope you enjoyed your trip-cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: saigon river express,worth the extra cost for tours?

This looks like a fantastic way to see the tunnels and not being in a car or bus in traffic is a huge bonus.

As we're not traveling on any real type of budget we will definitely do this and pay the extra.

Thank you for posting about this.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: saigon river express,worth the extra cost for tours?

you are most welcome matt,glad it helped. yes it does look like a good way to go. when are you going? we are in vietnam mid march.

enjoy your trip and travel safe- cheers

Sydney
Level Contributor
114 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: saigon river express,worth the extra cost for tours?

We travelled by Saigon River Express to Cu Chi last month. We had been there previously, once on a group tour by bus and once in a privately arranged car with a guide.

We enjoyed Saigon River Express - the operation is well run, the pick and drop off, the food provided, everything was well done.

However, for the additional price we paid, my choice, after weighing up the three options we have experienced, would be the private car/guide. The car is air conditioned, you have control over what time you leave Saigon, where you stop, if you stop and the guide for our private tour spoke the best English of the three trips we made.

The boat is fun for about the first 30 minutes, but after that it was a case of "are we there yet". The speed boat had no screen protection from the wind so you are really blown about and conversation is almost impossible.

I'm glad we have experienced it, but on reflection, considering the cost and comfort, I would choose the private car option.

Edited: 28 January 2013, 00:51
Mentioned in this post
Saigon River
Saigon River
242 Reviews
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Saigon Hotel
Saigon Hotel
213 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: saigon river express,worth the extra cost for tours?

Hi Alpha,

Will be there mid June so am just tweaking my itinerary at the moment and trying to maximise my time and enjoyment in HCMC.

Very interesting post Allwests. Given I love boats I think I might stick with the river express but look at a private tour guide for other things in HCMC based on what you posted. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
South Africa
Level Contributor
42 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: saigon river express,worth the extra cost for tours?

spemt 2 mights in Ho Chi Mink in december with my 3 adult children. First day we did the Mango full day makong river cruise and next day the Saigon River express to the tunnels. I was on a 7 week holiday visiting Sri lanka, Thailiand,Kuala Lampur, Vietnam , Hong Kong and China, Off all the tours in different countries i rate the Mago Cruise as number one , the halong bay cruise with Prince Cruise as number 2 and the river express as number 3.

Would not do the tunnels any other way, Rhese guys are profesionals, fodd was excellent ( we were Muslims so requested vegetariian for lunch) . The coffeee and fruit served on board was awesome. Pick up and drop off was on time and guide excellent. Ots expensive bit would rate these guys highly,

if you planning to do the makong river day experience, check out Mango cruises as these guys are really awesome!! Worth every cent!!

Mentioned in this post
Saigon River
Saigon River
242 Reviews
10. Re: saigon river express,worth the extra cost for tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 February 2013, 14:05