We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with Viet Girlfriend

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Langkawi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel with Viet Girlfriend

Does anyone know a 4 or 5 star hotel that will allow my Viet Girlfriend share a room with me ,I understand the law , but not having much luck at the moment.I have heard that some hotels do allow it but cant find which ones

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel with Viet Girlfriend

Try the Liberty Central, send them an email first but there was a Western man sitting at the breakfast table with an Asian lady but it could have been his wife.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel with Viet Girlfriend

When you send the mail keep it casual I would write that you would like to book a double room for yourself and your Vietnamese girlfriend for such and such a date and see what comes back if you get a confirmation you have it in writing that you informed them beforehand.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel with Viet Girlfriend

Ask them directly is my best advice and don't try to be sneaky. It might take a while to find a hotel but its worth it unless you want an embarrassing situation at the front desk.

Book a dbl vs a single. Some hotels will ask to buy 2 rooms just don't argue politely try the next hotel.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel with Viet Girlfriend

"Try the Liberty Central, send them an email first but there was a Western man sitting at the breakfast table with an Asian lady but it could have been his wife."

That's not exactly a rare sight in Vietnam.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel with Viet Girlfriend

If you book for two guests why should they care. When I travel solo, I sometimes already know ( or make new friend) people in the city I am visiting, if we are out late and they live some distance from my hotel i would like to suggest they stay the night. Is this pecular to Vietnam as I have no probs in malaysia or thailand. Admitably friend would usually be another guy.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel with Viet Girlfriend

dev1236, there are rules in Vietnam. Passports and ID cards are kept by the hotel reception and reported online or in person to authorities.

The concept of 'get a room' in Vietnam is a difficult one if one of the party is a Vietnamese female. There are laws. And just as with motorbikes, foreigners are hellbent on breaking them.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
541 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel with Viet Girlfriend

dev1236, the situation is pretty different in Vietnam. Some hotels requires to have marriage certification if you have a local girlfriend. It does not make any sense but the gov. think by that way they can cut down the bad social evils (aka prostitution).

Ruber: as the others advice, it's best to state that in your booking with your hotel in advance, I think they wont have problem with that or will find a way for you. If not then try the small hotels.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel with Viet Girlfriend

Most hotels clearly are looking for the diff girlfriend or boyfriend every night.

I don't have any issue with my gf, but like I said I do the necessary leg work ahead of time. Email hotels I am interested in and see what they say. Some request you to buy another room and others do not care.

However like I said best to be up front on what you want and let the hotel you are aware of the law and you want to avoid any inconvenience for the hotel and yourself.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,328 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel with Viet Girlfriend

RUBERBrisbane... I doubt very much whether you'd get away with it at a 4-5 star hotel if you book on your own. Some even mention it in the booking conditions when you go to reserve the room. But booked via a tour anything is possible. :-) Less than 3 star and it really is down to the hotel in question. Some are very strict, some just require the ID card of the woman in question. Most prostitutes will not go down that route.

From the Expedia website regarding a booking at the Caravelle Hotel........

Check-in

Check-in time starts at 2 PM

Special check-in instructions:

Under Vietnamese law, a foreign man must provide a marriage certificate in order to share a room with a Vietnamese woman. A second room must be booked if this is not possible.

As others have said you can do but ask. The worse they can say is no.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel with Viet Girlfriend

Even hotels had the above reference that Bertie pointed out w/Expedia had no issue. (more smoke/mirrors)

Funny enough some 4/5 stars do not care but again email them and ask. I've stayed in Western Brand hotels some in one city quite ok, and some in others they had an issue. It varies pretty funny one very large hotel said to me we are a business and here to make dosh, of course we have no issue with your gf staying with you in your room. :)

Edited: 03 March 2013, 14:32