We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train ticket from HCM to Nha Trang

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train ticket from HCM to Nha Trang

Can some one please give me input about taking a train from Ho Chi Minh city to Nha Trang . Would we able to buy ticket at the train station on the same day we want to go to Nha Trang. How long is the train trip . should we get a regular seat or soft berth . There are 4 members in my group . Thank you

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train ticket from HCM to Nha Trang

Fly it's not worth the savings unless you really want the train experience.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train ticket from HCM to Nha Trang

It takes only 6,5 hours. If you travel overnight I would take the soft sleeper.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train ticket from HCM to Nha Trang

Ahh the memories....we got the 3rd class train leaving at 10am and had the BEST time.We were with all vietnamese people,most were going to hanoi.They fed us,laughed at and with us.The seats are rolled wood and very comfy and plenty of room to walk around.Train and toilets were pretty clean and everytime a food vendor boarded we bought some and the locals showed us how to eat it.Drinks and food are brought around pretty regularly.They all helped us with our luggage off,and we had SO many laughs with them.It was so much fun and the time flew.Its fan only (we went in july) but the windows are all open with mesh covering.NOT hot and stuffy....We chose that train because all the others arrived in Nha Trang at bad times like 2am.We booked our ticket through our hotel.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train ticket from HCM to Nha Trang

Hi friend,

the train ticket SGN-NHA is about 30$/per ticket included: soft berth, air conditioner, each cabin will have 4 people. speed train 8hr.

Good luck

Anna.

Rochester, New York
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train ticket from HCM to Nha Trang

The fastest train is SE4, depart 11pm every night, and arrive in Nha Trang 5:40am, best accommodation cost 510,000 = 25 dollars, cheaper seats also avail, buying ticket at the station do not guarantee availability. Buses are more flexible since there are many departures throughout the day and take about the same time, but alot cheaper, 8 dollars/person, trusted bus lines are Mai Linh and Phuong Trang.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train ticket from HCM to Nha Trang

Trains SNT1 & SNT2 have Golden Trains tourist sleeping-cars attached between Saigon (nobody calls it HCM!) and Nha Trang.

Train SNT2 leaves Saigon at 20:00, Nha Trang arrive 05:10.

These have 4-berth soft sleepers of a higher quality than the regular sleepers. Fare $38 for a bed in a 4-berth sleeper, bookable through an agency such as www.vietnamimpressive.com .

You'll probably be fine booking at the station a day or two ahead, though be prepared to take a second choice of train or class.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train ticket from HCM to Nha Trang

Nha Trang is too close to use a night train, no time to sleep in the unlikely case you can sleep on a train.

Train at 10am soft seat, ticket in PNL street, get it early.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293925-c187685/Ho-Ch…

Coming back there is only a night train, so no choice.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,706 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train ticket from HCM to Nha Trang

"between Saigon (nobody calls it HCM!) and Nha Trang."

Erm, they do actually. Try spending some time on solid ground rather than almost exclusively on rolling stock and you might learn somewhat more about the way things actually are in Vietnam. Oh, and it's HCMC, not HCM.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train ticket from HCM to Nha Trang

I use the night trains quite often even though flying is preferable. (7 hours of drug induced sleep is all I require:) You can quite often get a berth the same day but you will probably be split up. Try to book a few days in advance if you can. Soft seats are a noisy soft Hel*

Owee58

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train ticket from HCM to Nha Trang

The station actually says on it when you get there, in big friendly letters 'Ga Sai Gon'. Posted DSVN timetables say Sai Gon in most places, even in Hanoi. My hotel (a favourite of mine) says 'Continental Hotel Saigon' on big letters all along the front.

Saigon is of course the time-honoured traditional name, no-one in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s would know what you were on about if you said Ho Chi Minh, and in the 60s and most of the 70s they'd have said that's a person not a place!

I gather the centre is still officially called Saigon, whereas it is the conurbation as a whole that's officially Ho Chi Minh. I expect government officials (and perhaps people from Northern Vietnam) may toe the line but everyone I speak to seems to say Saigon.

Now, don't get me started on 'Mumbai'... ;0)