We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HCMC Street Food: Tips & Recommendations

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
HCMC Street Food: Tips & Recommendations

Hi all

I've been told by a few people that I should start a thread about this, so here goes.

I went to Vietnam last month and one of the main things that I did (and always do on my travels) was to try lots of local food. I wrote up a big post with lots of photos about eating in HCMC, with recommendataions and tips. It's been very popular and I've received a lot of positive feedback so thought I'd share it all with you.

thecitylane.com/ho-chi-minh-city-food-guide/

If you have any questions you'd like to ask on this topic I'd love to help out and, to anyone who has been to HCMC (or has experience with street food), I'm sure we'd all love to hear your advice and stories too.

Safe travels and happy eating,

Paul

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
736 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HCMC Street Food: Tips & Recommendations

Great blog, very informative and lovely photos! Thanks for sharing. Hubby and I also ate a lot of street food, mostly great, didn't get sick and loved mingling with the locals. The vendors are thrilled when a tourist sits and eats there, we had lots of locals trying to chat to us while we ate. Makes me want to go back!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5,643 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HCMC Street Food: Tips & Recommendations

Paul, Hoa Hanh is a vegetarian eatery.

Quan = a small local restaurant

Chay = Vegeterian

The other line read: "Pho Hu Tiu Chay"

Pho, as you already know, has a medium-size rice noodle (traditionally about the size of spaghetti, even though it can varies from place to place); its origin is from northern VN. The soup base commonly are beef broth or chicken broth. There are also seafood Pho and oxtail Pho (the soup is very rich, and the meat from the oxtail is really tender after several hours in the stove.)

And then there's the pan-fried Pho (pho ap chao), another great dish (no soup). The most common type comes with variety of seafood and vegetables stir-fried (similar to the pan-fried noodle dish you normally find in Chinese restaurant all over the world.)

Hu Tiu uses a thicker rice noodle; there's a Chinese version (the traditional Hu Tiu), a Cambodian version (Hu Tiu Nam Vang - Pnompehn), and a Southern VN version (Hu Tiu My Tho - with a clear vermicelli).

Pork, chicken, or seafood are the most common soup base with Hu Tiu.

There's a vast variety of noodle soup besides Pho and Hu Tiu, many with a distinct flavor of a particular region. I seriously doubt that you can even find a Vietnamese native that has tried them all. :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HCMC Street Food: Tips & Recommendations

Very interesting John, thanks for that info :)

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
25 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HCMC Street Food: Tips & Recommendations

Thanks for sharing your blog!

I'll save it for future use when we go to Saigon on August :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HCMC Street Food: Tips & Recommendations

No problems emem83. Enjoy your visit :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HCMC Street Food: Tips & Recommendations

You must be getting excited now emem83! I'm looking forward to reading about what else you discover on the food trail :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HCMC Street Food: Tips & Recommendations

Some more great HCMC food tips from fellow TA contributer John over here.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293925-i8433-k…

This guy knows his stuff.

Tilburg
Level Contributor
79 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HCMC Street Food: Tips & Recommendations

Wow, thanks, loved reading your blog!

We'll be arriving September 2nd in Hanoi and looking forward to all the food!

9. Re: HCMC Street Food: Tips & Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 July 2013, 18:35
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
338 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HCMC Street Food: Tips & Recommendations

Great blog! Thanks for sharing!!!