We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cu Chi and or Mekong Delta

London, United...
Level Contributor
945 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Cu Chi and or Mekong Delta

Hi,

Has anyone ever done these trips out without using a tour company. Doing under your own steam so to speak.

Would appreciate any helpful input.

regards,

XO Tours
Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Back of the Bike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours, Private Tours
Saigon Adventure
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
Onetrip Motorcycle Adventures
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cu Chi and or Mekong Delta

Well, I'm kind of like a local, so it doesn't count.

I have a nephew who only speaks English and had never been to VN before; but he did ride the bike all the way from Saigon to Ben Tre in the Mekong Delta with an American friend. They got separated along the way, but both found the grand-parent's house just fine with the address jotted down on a piece of paper.

I'm sure you can manage it.

Cheers.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cu Chi and or Mekong Delta

Hi London1947

I think you can take motorbike to Cu Chi tunnels or Mekong Delta easy.

Ther eis local bus from Ben Thanh market to Cu Chi tunnels, but i think the motorbike is more convenience for you. You can stop any where or depart anytime as you like.

If you don't want to ride on your own, you can take motorbike taxi ( Xe OM) . it is only US$15/pax for return trip by motorbike.

For Mekong Delta trip, you can take local bus or bike by yourself. Last time i rode from Ho Chi Minh City to My Tho only 1 and half hour.

So i am sure that you can do it :)

Yours

London, United...
Level Contributor
945 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cu Chi and or Mekong Delta

Me and my wife on a motor bike? Nah.

London, United...
Level Contributor
945 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cu Chi and or Mekong Delta

Me and my wife on a motor bike? Nah. Like the idea of using bus. Any more info on that? Bet up for that!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cu Chi and or Mekong Delta

Basically, the bus station to the Mekong is in the suburb SW of Saigon.

You can take a taxi there and buy a bus ticket to one the hubs in the Mekong, with Can Tho being the biggest one where it's easy to find lodging and book your day tours or to find some locals or taxis to take you around.

There are bus ticket offices within Saigon; if you stay near the back-packer area near the central Ben Thanh market, you can easily find ex-pats and fellow travelers to point the way for you (I hope.)

If you don't like riding pillion on a certain stretch, then you just have to walk, or find a water taxi.

Just before the traditional Tet holiday in 2010, for example, a friend of the family provided my wife, I, and my two brothers a 7-seater to go to the Mekong. We started in the late evening and got stuck at the old Can Tho ferry (as the last of the workers in Saigon traveled back home in the Mekong to spend the holiday with their family.) That ferry has sinced been replaced with a modern bridge. My wife and my younger brother were lazy to walk, so they stayed with the driver to wait for the ferry. My older brother and I, we set on our walk to the ferry about 3-4km away.

We didn't really know how far it is, so we decided to take a motorbike ride for $1.50 each. We took the ferry across the river and had breakfast before walking a couple of km to the hotel that we pre-booked (the driver had given us the direction, and we just confirmed the way by asking around near the ferry landing.)

We chatted with the employees at the hotel and he arranged a motorboat for us (it can carry six, but there were only two of us.) Business was slow at that time of the year, in that particular area, when most people were at home preparing for the holidays and the rest were stuck at the ferry.

We paid somewhere between $10-15 to have the boat all to ourselves for 2-3 hours visiting the floating market and some canals, etc.

We didn't set the price; we didn't negotiate; but I speak and act like an old timer from Saigon, I didn't need to.

The young man who manned the boat was super friendly and eager to show us all that he knows. We could have gone longer, but we needed to get back to the hotel; we can't predict when our company would arrive. We should have stayed on the water longer, LOL.

We gave the boat "captain" a $5 tip (unecessarily, but it was nearing Tet; the "lucky" money is a tradition; we only applied it a few days ahead of time.)

So yeah, it was not in the planning, but we had a marvelous time on the river early in the morning.

I told my wife later "you should have gone with me,",but she's never been the adventurous type. She would admit that we have had some the most memorable time (in the twenty seven some years of our marriage) when she just let the cat out of the bag for a little while.

Have a great trip.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,510 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cu Chi and or Mekong Delta

You could do the Mekong Delta on your own but the tunnels would be easier to visit with an agency. We used the Sinh tourist for both tours, they're a budget agency but very reliable, we did the HCMC to Phnom Penh via the Mekong Delta with them quite simply because it was easier and we actuall found ourselves with a whole bunch of interesting people from backpackers to doctors, we enjoyed it.

www.thesinhtourist.vn

London, United...
Level Contributor
945 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cu Chi and or Mekong Delta

Lovely story John! I too am quite adventurous but sadly my wife isn't. Never mind. :-)

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cu Chi and or Mekong Delta

I tried both Cu Chi tunnel and Mekong Delta day tour on June 7th and 8th. I suggest you choose Cu Chi tunnel which is more interesting. The distance from Saigon to Ben Tre is too long for you to travel. It is really tiring. We pay 150,000 VNĐ per person (about $7.5) for Cu Chi half day tour (without lunch). This tour is worth every penny.

If you need the information of travel agent. Here is this: TNK travel - 220 De Tham Street, District 1, HCM city.

Have a good journey

malaysia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cu Chi and or Mekong Delta

hi. u said that tourist can ride own motorbikes from BT to CHU CHI tunnels. is this true? how much will it cost? and is the road going there easy to follow?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cu Chi and or Mekong Delta

I've been to the Cu Chi tunnels on my own steam before and I highly recommend it! You can get a public bus that takes you direct to Cu Chi - the bus station is just off the Ben Thanh roundabout in District 1. I'd get the bus around midday, that way all the group tours will have left the Cu Chi sight by the time you arrive so it'll be much quieter.

I've only ever done the Mekong using a tour operator, although I recently enquired about doing it alone, and you can get a public bus to Ben Tre (which is the closest Mekong village to HCMC - around a 2 hours bus ride away). Not entirely sure what you'd do when you get there though. I think there's also a boat that runs to Ben Tre too - you'll have to have a bit of a Google for that though, sorry!

Hope this helps a little!

http://cokerri.wordpress.com